[SOLVED] Boot from NVME SSD

Oct 3, 2020
I used Macrium reflect to clone my HDD partitions onto an SSD. I can see the ssd in windows and file manager. But not in the BIOS. I want to boot from the windows i cloned on my ssd. Please help.

Oct 3, 2020
Don't know anything about our system but were windows (I suppose W10 ?) installed in UEFI or legacy mode ? What happens if you remove /disconnect HDD ?

So its a HP 15 ec 1024 ax laptop I bought recently. It has windows 10 pre-installed. In bios menu there is no legacy boot options. I don't find any enabled disabled switch for legacy. I haven't tried to disconnect hdd. Because that would require opening up my laptop again, which I would like to avoid but i am not completely against the idea.

So its a HP 15 ec 1024 ax laptop I bought recently. It has windows 10 pre-installed. In bios menu there is no legacy boot options. I don't find any enabled disabled switch for legacy. I haven't tried to disconnect hdd. Because that would require opening up my laptop again, which I would like to avoid but i am not completely against the idea.
See if you can disable HDD from BIOS.

Oct 3, 2020
See if you can disable HDD from BIOS.
tb1vyK5.jpg

This is all I could see in boot options, and I have updated the BIOS just today from device manager. WD10SPZX is the old HDD. I don't see the SSD here

Oct 3, 2020
I don't think the OS Boot Manager will show your SSD until you remove the HDD and put the SSD in it's place.

(Windows has to boot from an internal drive, not an external one)
Hey Phillip,
The SSD in question is an m.2 NVMe SSD so I can't possibly put it in place of an HDD SATA drive. Is there something I can do with this setup?

Oct 3, 2020
Did you remove the old HDD?
I did not remove the HDD. I added WD blue m.2 NVMe SSD on a PCIe slot on the motherboard which is compatible(I checked).
The hard drive is still in place. And I am seeing only the hard drive in BIOS setup.

TLDR : I can't boot from the SSD, but when I boot from the HDD I can see the SSD and all the windows files in it as E:/

Do I have to remove HDD?

Oct 3, 2020
Give it a shot.
Thanks,
I disconnected my hard drive. Booted up the laptop. It automatically booted from the SSD.
Then I connected back the HDD. And now I always boot up in SSD.

Again, now I can't see the HDD in my BIOS. I can access the files of HDD on windows. The same situation but in reverse this time.
Not that it is an issue for me. But I'd love to know if there is a solution to keep both drives in BIOS to boot up from HDD if I want to in the future.