[SOLVED] Boot from previous corrupted hard drive

Prorex0

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Basically my original hard drive just crashed one day and I am not able to boot from it anymore, I only had 1 SATA cable so I booted windows 10 from a USB and it recognized my original hard drive as a external hard drive, the windows folder in that hard drive is completely corrupted its just some 0kb file. I was wondering if there is a way for me to install windows 10 onto that hard drive again without losing any files and start using it like normal.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Solution
Not sure how just WIndows folder could ever suddenly be 0 KB, but, it sure won't hurt to try a 'repair install/keep data'...; but if you can read the drive (minus WIndows), I'd get what you can, photos/docs, etc., off while you can, put them to another USB flash drive if necessary....

(Naturally, if the drive has partially crashed, it'll likely hard fail within a week's time, so, I'd prioritize in getting your data off vice running any detailed surface checks/scans, etc..)

You might also want to pull Smart data from drive in question...; CrystalDiskInfo gives a nice color coded table/chart, not hard to grasp...
Not sure how just WIndows folder could ever suddenly be 0 KB, but, it sure won't hurt to try a 'repair install/keep data'...; but if you can read the drive (minus WIndows), I'd get what you can, photos/docs, etc., off while you can, put them to another USB flash drive if necessary....

(Naturally, if the drive has partially crashed, it'll likely hard fail within a week's time, so, I'd prioritize in getting your data off vice running any detailed surface checks/scans, etc..)

You might also want to pull Smart data from drive in question...; CrystalDiskInfo gives a nice color coded table/chart, not hard to grasp...

Solution