Boot from SSD

That 1 Guy

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi guys,

I plan to buy a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 7559) with a HDD and a 128GB SSD. I am wondering if the laptop will boot from the SSD automatically (after a few boots) or will I have to configure it in BIOS. Thanks!

Solution
The laptop should be configured to boot straight from the SSD. If the C Drive is 128GB then that will be the SSD. If Windows is installed on the hard drive, then I'd just wipe the OS and install a new copy straight to the SSD which is easy to do.

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
The laptop should be configured to boot straight from the SSD. If the C Drive is 128GB then that will be the SSD. If Windows is installed on the hard drive, then I'd just wipe the OS and install a new copy straight to the SSD which is easy to do.

Solution
1) it will boot and run Windows (and apps if installed using default C-drive install), from the SSD.

2) I assume you'll game so I recommend Steam by default to C-drive, but create a folder on the HDD from within Steam (such as "E:\Steam2") and install games there since SSD space is limited.

Even if you appear to have lots of SSD space initially, various programs, Microsoft Updates etc will eat that up over time. It will mostly stabilize, but when I overprovisioned my SSD I had about 90GB left (some is OP, some is formatting etc).

Luckily the drive speed mostly only affects load times such as the initial game or later level loads. It mainly affects games like SKYRIM with frequent load points (such as entering buildings, jump around map). If that's important you may want to investigate a 256GB SSD to add about 100GB roughly just for games. (you can CLONE later if it comes to that)

3) 4K display?
If that's standard then be aware:
a) Don't game at 4K (choose 2560x1440, or 1920x1080 as appropriate)
b) use DPI scaling at 150% to start and see if that is optimal
c) will need to scale web pages (use CTRL+Scroll per page, but also set a default Zoom for all pages like 200% or whatever works best)

TRENDING THREADS