Question Boot from USB drive "inaccessible booting device"?

Apr 10, 2022
Hi,
I made a clone of my Win10 SSD drive to USB drive of the same capacity, (using Macrium Reflect). I want to have exact copy as a backup that I can use.
Cloning went OK without errors, I choose exact copy of whole drive and partitions.
When I tried to choose that cloned drive in BIOS to boot from it I got BSOD and message "inaccessible booting device"?
Clone is exactly the same, so what make this problem, and how to enable it to boot from that cloned drive?

When I use some other USB device as boot, such as some live installations or memtest for example, everything works OK.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I made a clone of my Win10 SSD drive to USB drive of the same capacity, (using Macrium Reflect). I want to have exact copy as a backup that I can use.
Cloning went OK without errors, I choose exact copy of whole drive and partitions.
When I tried to choose that cloned drive in BIOS to boot from it I got BSOD and message "inaccessible booting device"?
Clone is exactly the same, so what make this problem, and how to enable it to boot from that cloned drive?

When I use some other USB device as boot, such as some live installations or memtest for example, everything works OK.
Because you can't run an installed Windows OS like that.
The installation thing, sure.

An installed OS is different.
You woul;d have had to convince Windows to install to that USB. Which is not trivial.

Instead of a full clone of your OS, use an Image in Macrium, and save that to the USB.

USAFRet

Titan
I cloned Win10 before in the same way, when I changed SSD to a larger drive and it worked. Only difference now is that is boot from USB.
Exactly.
The external thing is the difference.

Done right, cloning is fine.
Cloning to an external USB, not so fine.

But generally, cloning is for changing the drive right now.
A backup is better done via Imaging.

That is the basis for my whole backup routine.
Multiple systems, multiple days worth, all backed up to a folder tree on my NAS.
Easily recoverable for any day in the last month.