[SOLVED] Boot from USB on motherboard

joshuamathesjm

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
Hello I am currently almost finished building a PC and having a bit of problems trying to find how to boot from a USB drive. The current Motherboard being used is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING motherboard and I have already put windows 10 onto a flash drive but I don't know where to go to boot from the USB in the ASUS UEFI BIOS. Any advice?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes that's what I meant. I ran the tool on my other PC and installed it onto the flashdrive but my question is that since I'm creating a new pc with a ssd and hdd, will the computer automatically boot to the flash drive and if not, where do i go on the Z390-E gaming UEFI bios to make that happen.
Be sure the SSD is set as the 1st drive in BIOS and that it is set as the first boot device. Unplug the SATA cable from the HDD when you install W10 from the flash drive to the SSD. (that prevents the boot sector accidently being written to the wrong drive). After installation is done and you are at the desktop, you can plug the HDD cable back in. Win will boot from the SSD Boot Manager (basically the SSD).

joshuamathesjm

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
The W10 Tool is not bootable. It is the program you run to make a bootable W10 installation flash drive or disk.
Yes that's what I meant. I ran the tool on my other PC and installed it onto the flashdrive but my question is that since I'm creating a new pc with a ssd and hdd, will the computer automatically boot to the flash drive and if not, where do i go on the Z390-E gaming UEFI bios to make that happen.

Hello I am currently almost finished building a PC and having a bit of problems trying to find how to boot from a USB drive. The current Motherboard being used is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING motherboard and I have already put windows 10 onto a flash drive but I don't know where to go to boot from the USB in the ASUS UEFI BIOS. Any advice?
You can press F8 when the system booting, they will take you to boot device selection screen.
Or you can set it by BIOS, set the USB as the top boot priorities.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Be sure the SSD is set as the 1st drive in BIOS and that it is set as the first boot device. Unplug the SATA cable from the HDD when you install W10 from the flash drive to the SSD. (that prevents the boot sector accidently being written to the wrong drive). After installation is done and you are at the desktop, you can plug the HDD cable back in. Win will boot from the SSD Boot Manager (basically the SSD).

Solution