Boot from Win 7 Installation DVD, no mouse or keyboard

Acharn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
This morning when I tried to boot my Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit desktop, it said: No such device. I stuck the installation DVD in to repair it, and it booted, but then did not detect the mouse or keyboard. Nothing I could do to use it. I entered the BIOS, and there was no problem using the mouse and keyboard. I've used this DVD to reinstall Windows, and I've been using this machine for about three years with no problems. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the same USB 2.0 ports they've been using for three years without problem. When I booted into Ubuntu from a USB 3.0 stick it worked fine. No problem with the mouse or keyboard.

I'm at a loss. Even if the MBR on the hard drive was farkled, there's no way the MBR on the DVD could be. There has to be something that changed in the BIOS, and I can't imagine how that could have happened or where to begin looking for help.

I'd try booting from an install disc or repair disc and doing a repair. If that doesn't work, I'd download Linux Mint from here: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and burn it to a DVD, then boot from it. You'll be up and running in under 4 min. without having to install anything. Then you can do a check for malware. You don't have to know anything about Linux because it has a user interface similar to Windows.

Good luck.

Acharn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yes. My problem is that when I boot from the Win 7 installation disk I get to the first screen, where it asks which language you want to use, and there is no way to interact. No response to either mouse or keyboard. The only thing I can do at that point is reboot. I am using an installation of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a Kingston 64 GB usb 3.0 flash drive. I ran ClamAV, which detected 15 supposed rootkits. I quarantined them all, but no help. I have used the same installation DVD to repair Windows in the last year and it worked. The mouse and keyboard are plugged into the same usb 2.0 sockets they have been plugged into for the last two and a half years. As you can see, the mouse and keyboard work fine in Linux. I am able to read the HDD, and copy files from it to the usb stick. I'm able to play music and view videos from the HDD. I'm able to boot the Falcon Four Ultimate Boot Disc, and at the menu the keyboard works, and I can select DOS utilities, but if I enter the MiniXP utility neither mouse nor keyboard work and the only thing I can do is reboot. I don't know which of the other utilities might be useful in fixing this, but most of them are completely unrelated to my problem.