[SOLVED] Boot Into Linux Mint 19 on Asus B450-F?

Oct 20, 2019
How do you guys configure a Asus B450-F Motherboard to boot into a full Linux Mint live session? I tried multiple things such as switching things to 'Legacy', 'CSM', but for whatever reason once I press enter to boot off the Flash Drive. The results are a Multi-system menu pops up, I selected my ISO I want to boot into, then a bunch a lines of code quickly shows for about 2 seconds, but then nothing shows up, no Linux Mint logo, the keyboard RGB turns off, and my monitor presents a black blank screen with with lighting coming off of it. I'm using HDMI 2.0 for my cable that's connected to the monitor and the Desktop tower. Also, when I'm in UEFI BIOS a Yellow Green Light LED is turned on my motherboard and stays like that until I exit the UEFI. Hopefully this information helps you figure out what is wrong.

Solution
A solution which solves both, the boot problem and the software rendering mode problem has been found. AMD support for the Linux kernel is limited to Open Source drivers, no Proprietary drivers are in the kernel. So, the answer is yes. You can install Linux Mint 19 all the way to 19.2, right out of the box. Linux Mint 19 doesn't support the integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, because the kernel version shipped with Linux Mint 19 is 4.15.00-20. That is why you have seen a notification stating that the software is running in 'Software Rendering' mode. Linux Mint 19.2 on the other hand comes with the kernel version 4.15.00-54 which still doesn't include support...
An update: I tried downloading a linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso to see if it had the same problem. When i boot using "compatibility mode" it will load for several seconds until it reaches "fb: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA" and then my screen freezes. So the problem does seem to be with Mint running the Vega 8 graphics. But i can successfully boot a "linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso".

Oct 20, 2019
Actually, I have managed to get Linux Mint 19 to boot into the live desktop. All you do is right after the POST, press and hold shift to bring up the menu for selecting options on how you want to install Linux Mint. At this part press E to edit the parameters, delete "quiet splash" and replace it with "nomodeset". Make sure to leave a space after 'nomodeset'. Then press F-10 to boot, but this for some reason doesn't save to the configuration file that contains these parameters. So, you'll have to end up repeating this process ever single time you turn on your desktop computer. I've got this information from reading the 'Release Notes' for Linux Mint 19 on Linux Mint's website. The only reason I'm trying to figure out how to get Linux Mint 19 up and going is because of my Realtek WiFi Adapter. My Realtek WiFi Adapter uses rtl8821CU as it's driver, that I've managed to find on GitHub and it only works with Linux Mint 19 so far. As far as compiling from source code, installing the driver and being able to use my Realtek WiFi Adapter.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
A solution which solves both, the boot problem and the software rendering mode problem has been found. AMD support for the Linux kernel is limited to Open Source drivers, no Proprietary drivers are in the kernel. So, the answer is yes. You can install Linux Mint 19 all the way to 19.2, right out of the box. Linux Mint 19 doesn't support the integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, because the kernel version shipped with Linux Mint 19 is 4.15.00-20. That is why you have seen a notification stating that the software is running in 'Software Rendering' mode. Linux Mint 19.2 on the other hand comes with the kernel version 4.15.00-54 which still doesn't include support for the integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics. What I've did is updated the kernel from 4.15.00-54 to the latest kernel currently is 4.15.00-66, which solved my boot problem and my software rendering mode problem.

Last edited:
Solution