Question Boot issue after adding new SSD and resetting Bios

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi Guys,

I added a new SSD to my custom PC yesterday. After installing it the computer would turn on and turn off constantly until I just powered it off. I unhooked all of the hard drives hoping that would resolve the issue but it did not. Next I pulled the power source from the motherboard and plugged it back in and the issue was resolved.

I did hit the reset button on the motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X UD3H) one time when it was constantly turning on and off which reset the bios. I reset the bios to factory settings which I never changed from the day I got it about 6 years ago. Now when I try to boot the system it says that boot manager can not find the boot data on the SSD that has the OS installed. I have tried to run the windows 8 installation media on my thumb drive to repair it but I get a message stating that the SSD is locked. I'm not sure how to unlock it to repair.

My question now is if I move all of my data from that SSD and reinstall windows 8 would that fix the problem of not being able to boot to the OS? Also could I put all the data back on the SSD once the OS is reinstalled? I run all of my software from that drive as well so I would like to keep everything in tact if possible. I am open to any suggestions to fix this issue. I would prefer to fix it without having to remove any data but if not I will copy everything to another drive and start over.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
How many drives? What models?

If your SSD is locked, this might mean, it has exhausted all write cycles and must be replaced.

Install windows on another drive and recover data from locked SSD.

I have 5 drives in total. 2 HDD and 3 SSD. The 2 WD Blue series 1TB HDD's (store music) are running in Raid 0 to make sure that if one fails I do not lose all of my musical compositions as I compose music for TV & Film. The 3 SSD's are all Samsung Evo's two being the 850 series (250 GB & 500 GB) and other the Evo 860 series (1TB). The 250GB SSD has my operating system and music software applications. I run all of my sounds for every application I use off of the 500 GB SSD. However, I purchased the Evo 860 1TB SSD to move all the sounds from the 500 GB SSD to that drive because I was starting to run low on space think I had 180 GB left and just purchased a new software that has about 500 GB of sounds. I was thinking the same thing about installing windows on another drive and recovering the data from the locked SSD. Thanks for the help. I will report back once I give this a try.