Question Boot Issue after RAM installation

Nov 27, 2019
Hi all,

I've recently installed two new ram sticks into my rig. However after doing this, my PC goes into a boot loop. No display, LEDs work, fans are spinning. System turns off after like 15 seconds, rinse and repeat.

Things to note are the new ram sticks I've purchased are clocked at 3200 MHz. My pre-existing sticks were clocked at 3000 MHz using XMP. I've further clocked them higher to 3200 MHz, so they could match my new sticks.

What I've tried so far is resetting CMOS, resetting the battery, reseating RAM with different configurations.

The current setup I'm running is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xkgPXv

Nov 27, 2019
What are the old sticks rated at?
If you are clocking them higher than the rating....that may be your problem.
Stock at 3000 MHz, overclocked to 3200 MHz. I reset the CMOS though, shouldn't that reset the stick speeds?

Also they ran without issues clocked at 3200 MHz using dual channel prior to the installation of the new sticks.

"I reset the CMOS though, shouldn't that reset the stick speeds? "
I would think.

Being they ran without issue at 3200 before.....now I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue.
Does the machine boot with just the old sticks?
If so, I would say "compatibility issue".

Nov 27, 2019
"I reset the CMOS though, shouldn't that reset the stick speeds? "
I would think.

Being they ran without issue at 3200 before.....now I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue.
Does the machine boot with just the old sticks?
If so, I would say "compatibility issue".
Unfortunately, it does not boot with old sticks as well. I asked reddit about the ram compatibility beforehand and someone said it should work fine as the new ram sticks would've downclocked to match my old ones.

Compatibility may be an issue though. Does this occur even with same model sticks because the only difference between my sticks are their stock clock speeds.

Unfortunately, it does not boot with old sticks as well. I asked reddit about the ram compatibility beforehand and someone said it should work fine as the new ram sticks would've downclocked to match my old ones.

Compatibility may be an issue though. Does this occur even with same model sticks because the only difference between my sticks are their stock clock speeds.
As far as compatibility....I find that RAM can act pretty strange.
Obviously the best case would be 4 sticks from the same set.
Whenever you go outside of this.....there is always risk.....and at times I liken it to a crap shoot.
But usually....if I were to have done what you did....the old sticks would be booting now....so that's a bit strange.
Have you tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds? If not....I would try that.
I would also pull the CMOS battery and let the motherboard sit for a while....like 10 minutes....and then put it back in.....and while I was at it....I might put a new battery in.

Nov 27, 2019
As far as compatibility....I find that RAM can act pretty strange.
Obviously the best case would be 4 sticks from the same set.
Whenever you go outside of this.....there is always risk.....and at times I liken it to a crap shoot.
But usually....if I were to have done what you did....the old sticks would be booting now....so that's a bit strange.
Have you tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds? If not....I would try that.
I would also pull the CMOS battery and let the motherboard sit for a while....like 10 minutes....and then put it back in.....and while I was at it....I might put a new battery in.
Ahh this is so frustrating, didn't know installing ram sticks could turn into such a mess. Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonight. Otherwise if this doesn't work, I'll probably look for slower clocked ram sticks lying around and see if it boots from that. I just read that my motherboard supports up to 2667 Mhz with 4 DIMM slots filled.

Nov 27, 2019
You're welcome......and....

"I just read that my motherboard supports up to 2667 Mhz with 4 DIMM slots filled. "

This might be it right here.
Yeah I'm just confused because I would assume resetting CMOS with all of the ram sticks installed would automatically set the clocks to what the mobo can handle.

TRENDING THREADS