Boot Issue. Cant delete Partitions for Fresh Install

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey all,

I'm doing a repair job on a Lenovo Z580. Needed a new keyboard and some cleaning. The machine boots up fine but cannot boot into Windows. I tried repair via disk and that did not work. I tried to do a fresh OS install but for some reason I am unable to delete the partitions of the previous install to do a clean OS install. Finally, I tried wiping the disk from command prompt:

Diskpart > select disk 0 > clean

I got an error that the file could not be found.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming the issue is overriding some factory settings from the partitions they created.

Can you show photo of the error screen?

"File could not be found" - means you're running the command from environment, where executable file can not be located. Either it does not exist or path variable doesn't list location of the executable.

You have to boot from windows installation media into command prompt to execute diskpart command. And each command has to be executed in a separate line:
  • Diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Im at work at the moment. let me see if I can get a screen cap of what I'm talking about. When I tried to wipe the disk from command prompt I did the execution commands on separate lines. I'll try again via installation media.

That is precisely what I am talking about. When I go to do a clean install via installation media I try to delete the previous partitions via the custom install option menu. For each partition I get an error saying that I cannot delete any of these. There are like 8 useless partitions that the factory put on there that I can't touch for some reason.