[SOLVED] Boot issue - motherboard?

Aug 20, 2019
Hi all.

I have a custom PC built in October 2016. Recently when I have turned on the PC it goes to boot and then comes up with an error of “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” I went in to the BIOS and reset all settings and also the drive boot order and the PC will boot to Windows and will restart and boot to Windows. I did have to remove the CMOS artery and reset all settings. About three days have passed since I last used the PC and it is coming up with the same issue and error.

The motherboard is a MSI Z170A gaming motherboard and I have a Samsung 256gb M2 PCIE chipset as the boot drive and it has always worked with no issues. The only thing I can think of is is the CMOS battery running out and not holding BIOS settings? Or does anyone think there is an issue with the M2 boot chip / drive? The M2 chip is is the M2.2 socket on the motherboard and always has been, there is a M2.1 socket on the motherboard as well. The only reason I haven’t thought it could be that is that it does boot and load Windows happily once BIOS settings are altered.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
"The only thing I can think of is is the CMOS battery running out and not holding BIOS settings? "
This was my first thought.
I would change the battery and then repost if you still have an issue.