Boot issue with Sabertooth Mobo

Namzor808

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I have been using my Asus Sabertooth X58 board with a I7-950, 3x2 GB of Corsair XMS3 ram on a Corsair HX750 power supply for a few years now. With the power supply being a recent addition last year (2012) when I upgraded to a GTX 660 Ti, around August. This morning I woke up and the system wouldn't Boot with a red LED near the CPU. I tried unplugging the power supply, then plugging it back in and it powered up normally, getting to the point where Windows would start but then powered off again. After that it would keep showing the LED near CPU and the system would power down after various lengths of time. Thinking it was a seating issue, I opened the case, reseated all the components and now I get a red LED near the CPU and RAM as well. Since this system has some years under its belt, could this be a age issue for the CPU? Or is it a powering issue with the power supply not providing an adequate stable current. I do not have a spare supply only spare RAM so I cannot check that atm. What are your thoughts on the best plan forward? TIA

Solution
Okay first, if you can boot at all to Windows, OR hit F8 repeatedly when you see the BIOS screen then access safe mode download / run SPECCY and give us your specs. It will include on idle your temps which is probably what is happening. Then download and run MSI Afterburner and turn on a game if possible, what does the temps look like 'ingame' ?

If you can't boot, lets forget about Windows at all. First lets just make sure you can get to BIOS (aka POST). So first unplug all drives, and boot, can you get to BIOS? If still having issues (shuts down right away) then remove all but 1 stick of RAM and test by booting to BIOS without reboots. Try in each slot to test them, if you find all slots with 1 stick isn't stable, then try your other...
Okay first, if you can boot at all to Windows, OR hit F8 repeatedly when you see the BIOS screen then access safe mode download / run SPECCY and give us your specs. It will include on idle your temps which is probably what is happening. Then download and run MSI Afterburner and turn on a game if possible, what does the temps look like 'ingame' ?

If you can't boot, lets forget about Windows at all. First lets just make sure you can get to BIOS (aka POST). So first unplug all drives, and boot, can you get to BIOS? If still having issues (shuts down right away) then remove all but 1 stick of RAM and test by booting to BIOS without reboots. Try in each slot to test them, if you find all slots with 1 stick isn't stable, then try your other stick of RAM and retest. If they all still 'shut down right away' and can't get into BIOS, then we need to do a quick test with NO RAM in, does it beep-error that there is a problem with the RAM? If it doesn't then the Mobo is probably dying.

If your able to test fine with the ram, including with both sticks in, but still having issues being stable / getting to BIOS then the next things would be to disassemble the entire computer and put the Mobo on a piece of wood / cardboard box (bread bording it). Remove all components unplug every connections, remove every part include CPU, then the Watch Battery on the Mobo. Wait 10 min.

Just insert 1 stick of RAM, the watch battery, reseat the CPU Fan, if you have onboard graphics DO NOT seat the GPU otherwise stick in the GPU, connect the power switch from case, and all PSU connections to the mobo. Can you get to BIOS? If you get to BIOS okay, try rebooting with the HDD connected, does it work to get into Windows?

Let us know the results, based on what happens where can help point to what is going on this sytem.

Solution
If you also did the RAM test too, also did you take out the Watch Battery (for the Mobo Bios) for 10 min while the power was unplugged from the wall socket? If yes on both those then yep sorry Mobo/CPU. Only test left would be to use the CPU in another Mobo to test if it works, and vice versa use another CPu in this mobo to test it.

Personally with how cheap it is for computers (here is a new i7 Haswell $550 http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/107118/staples---lenovo-desktops-h535-desktop-core-i7-4770-8gb-ddr3-1tb-hdd-windows-8-550-h530-desktop-amd-a10-5700-8gb-ddr3-1tb-hdd-windows-8) , I just toss it and get a new machine.

Namzor808

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I removed the CMOS battery for 10 min before doing the bread board configuration. I also tried each stick of RAM in each slot to make sure it wasn't that. I checked with ASUS, since it is a TUF series Mobo it came with a 5yr warranty, so I am going to RMA it. And see if the chip works on the new board. If its the chip as well, I saw a refurb chip costs $125 for the same i7-950 so I might go along that route. Thoughts?

Mmm I think the RMA is fine, but really considering that is a first gen i7, unless you were handing it off to a family member I think your wasting the $125 for a 'refurb' you will be also taking chances with. If you consider $550-125=$425 (a very small price) for a brand new under warranty and latest Gen computer, I think is much more worth the small price, time, headaches, and mitigates alot of risk.

Namzor808

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I checked out that deal, while I would love a Haswell i7, I don't think I can buy a premade comp. I stick my 660 Ti and spare HDs in there and I void the warranty, don't I? Also I just checked the Intel website, it appears my chip is still under warranty till Jan 1st, 2014, talk about LUCKY. So I am going that route as well.