Question Boot issues after upgrading.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hi guys. Sorry for the long post in advance. Had a bit of a nightmare last night after upgrading my mobo, cpu, and RAM. New components are:

Ryzen 3600

MSI B450 Mortar

2x8GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz

So installation seemed to go well, had no issues reconnecting everything on my mobo, as far I could tell. I’ve double checked all the components are listed as compatible. Basically upon starting the pc the LEDs, fans, etc. all started but there’s no signal to the display, or lights on my keyboard and mouse.
The trouble is my old mobo is not am4 so I can’t troubleshoot with that, and my old ram is ddr3 so cant use that either. So far I’ve tried switching out ram to see if either a stick or a slot was broken, switching the display to connect directly to the mobo, reseating each component, and finally running without the GPU entirely. When I ran without the GPU, the pc started up (still no display) then within 2 seconds totally shut off, which I found very odd but have no idea why this would happen.

Any help would be amazing as I’m a little stuck.

Cheers!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
When I ran without the GPU, the pc started up (still no display) then within 2 seconds totally shut off, which I found very odd but have no idea why this would happen.
The 3600 does not have an integrated GPU - so it needs a GPU to function.

Have you updated the BIOS of the B450 Board to take the 3600? You need 7B89v17 to run 3000 chips on the B450 Mortar.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012

Have you updated the BIOS of the B450 Board to take the 3600? You need 7B89v17 to run 3000 chips on the B450 Mortar.

I haven’t updated the B450, I was hoping I’d be able to do this after booting (never done it before) as I don’t have any other cpu to use to update the board. Can I use a usb flashback to do this? Or is there another way?

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012

Just did a USB flashback to the updated BIOS, no dice unfortunately - still no display. No lights on keyboard/mouse either. Everything in the case is running, fans, LEDS etc. Any other thoughts?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
If it's definitely been updated to at least V17 then please see the below guide and feedback after:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Also what is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?
So I’ve actually advanced a bit. After the bios flashback, the LED debug started working and indicated ram issues. I’ve tried different scenarios and it appears the ram slot 4 doesn’t work. Slot 1 works alone, 2 works alone, 1 and 2 work together. 2 and 4 does not work. So I have a display now, but still an issue. Thanks for your help so far though! Plan is likely to return the mobo as I see that as more likely than the cpu memory controller being at fault?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So I’ve actually advanced a bit. After the bios flashback, the LED debug started working and indicated ram issues. I’ve tried different scenarios and it appears the ram slot 4 doesn’t work. Slot 1 works alone, 2 works alone, 1 and 2 work together. 2 and 4 does not work. So I have a display now, but still an issue. Thanks for your help so far though! Plan is likely to return the mobo as I see that as more likely than the cpu memory controller being at fault?
Sometimes this can be faulty if there is too much pressure from the CPU cooler to the CPU. But typically this effects slots closest to the CPU.
So all RAM modules work, however one slot doesn't? If you have absolutely confirmed that all modules work individually, then I would RMA the board.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Sometimes this can be faulty if there is too much pressure from the CPU cooler to the CPU. But typically this effects slots closest to the CPU.
So all RAM modules work, however one slot doesn't? If you have absolutely confirmed that all modules work individually, then I would RMA the board.

I tried loosening the cpu cooler during my oringinal issue so I would assume this isn’t an issue currently.

Yeh the only other configuration that didn’t work was slot 1 and 3 together, but I believe that is just a channel issue? 1 and 2 works fine. Both 1 and 2 also work individually. 2 and 4 doesn’t work. 4 does not work individually. From the manual and the mobo diagram, 2 and 4 should be my first option for dual channel, so given that this doesn’t work and what I mentioned above does, I’d say it deems module 4 is the faulty one.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I tried loosening the cpu cooler during my oringinal issue so I would assume this isn’t an issue currently.

Yeh the only other configuration that didn’t work was slot 1 and 3 together, but I believe that is just a channel issue? 1 and 2 works fine. Both 1 and 2 also work individually. 2 and 4 doesn’t work. 4 does not work individually. From the manual and the mobo diagram, 2 and 4 should be my first option for dual channel, so given that this doesn’t work and what I mentioned above does, I’d say it deems module 4 is the faulty one.
Makes sense, I would RMA the board at this point if each module itself works when in 1 slot.

TRENDING THREADS