Question Boot issues and game launch issues on new build ?

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
Hello,

I've built a new am5 system based on an msi b650m mainboard. I installed windows 11 from 10 which resulted in non-stop problems. I reinstalled 11 which corrected a lot of the issues, but the boot time is still long even by b650m standards. It sometimes doesn't seem to boot when restarting. In addition, if I try to start a game, it will launch and immediately freeze, requiring the task manager to kill it. What might I be missing that would case these issues? If I do a system scan in command prompt it finds no issues, all drivers seem to be up to date.
System has 32gb ram at 6000mt installed in slots 2 and 4. Ryzen 7600x, and Radeon 6700xt. Nothing has been modified in the bios.

would anyone be able to point me to a likely culprit?

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
How long is boot time? Where is it slow? before windows logon screen or after?

do you have latest BIOS?

do you have latest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am5/b650.html

what ssd/nvme do you have?
Boot time I would guess between 1 and 3 minutes. It's all before the login screen, I was under the impression memory training didn't take this long every time. Also odd is that it runs the fans up to full speed until I manually open MSI software on the desktop (or bios), which is really irritating.

Bios and chipset are up to date.

SSD is a WD Black SN770 1 TB at around 5100

Colif

Win 11 Master
Boot time I would guess between 1 and 3 minutes. It's all before the login screen, I was under the impression memory training didn't take this long every time. Also odd is that it runs the fans up to full speed until I manually open MSI software on the desktop (or bios), which is really irritating.
it shouldn't run memory training every boot. It might not be, it could be another bit of hardware not responding at start, and windows only keeps going once its timed out. When you reinstalled Win 11, was it a clean install? Did you wipe the ssd?

any old hardware attached? Try detaching anything unessential at start and see if it speeds it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
it shouldn't run memory training every boot. It might not be, it could be another bit of hardware not responding at start, and windows only keeps going once its timed out. When you reinstalled Win 11, was it a clean install? Did you wipe the ssd?

any old hardware attached? Try detaching anything unessential at start and see if it speeds it up.
I tried that as a last resort, wiped the ssd and reinstalled. Seems stable now, and detaching the GPU solved most the problems. Seems like I found the culprit.