Question Boot issues with Windows 10 update

adamdiller

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem that I can't sort out.

I recently brought a computer that had been working offline only w/o updates from Windows 1703 top 1903. The process seemed to go well, but after one day of smooth operation, I'm getting endless boot errors, can't get past repair mode.

I made a recovery disk with the 1903, and using that, see that my disks are formatted to mbr rather than gpt.

I'm not sure if that is the source of the problem, but am suspecting that maybe it is?

In any case, I can't seem to find any solution, other than a complete fresh install, which I would love to avoid, since I have a good deal of software that would take a long time to download and reconfigure correctly.

This morning I thought that I'd do a fresh install on an old HDD that I had sitting around, then use that install to run the lossess mbr2gpt in windows. The new install booted successfully once, but then crashed and hasn't started again.

At this point I'm more confused, any ideas are helpful. Or maybe I need to just deal with the lost time and do a fresh install?