Question Boot issues

Jun 24, 2023
Hello.

I bought all the components for my computer a few months ago, I assembled it myself and since the beginning I have had some problems starting the pc. Admittedly, this is my first build but I did a lot of research and I already had very good knowledge so I have already checked everything again and again and I know that the problem is not mine.

Here are the different situations I have when I try to turn it on:
  • The computer turns on, the VGA LED stays on white and nothing is displayed on the screen
  • The computer turns on, the BOOT LED stays on and the boot splash appears on the screen but stays freeze on it and I can't access the BIOS, even though the keyboard is connected and on
  • The computer turns on, passes the CPU LED, and arrived at the RAM LED, it restarts in a loop
The fans are spinning properly, AIO working. I checked all the connections and c ables, everything is good. I have already checked, the processor is well placed. No trace of burned or broken component. RAMs are seated correctly. I've reset the BIOS many times, it doesn't help. The only idea that I have for the moment would be that necessarily I have to activate the XMP to be at 3600 MHz and maybe that will cause a problem? But then what would be the matter with VGA and BOOT LEDs? Even disabling it doesn't change much. Finally, I manage to access Windows after 15 minutes of troubleshooting, by resetting the BIOS, removing the Displayport cable and putting it back... (I've already tried with an HDMI, it doesn't change anything) but every time it's different, and I have to do this every time I try to turn on the pc, it's starting to get annoying. I have no more idea...

CPU : Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7/4.9
Motherboard : Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI DDR4 INTEL
RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3600 MHz CL18 (2x 16 Go)
Graphics card : GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 VISION OC 8G
PSU : Corsair RM750x 80+ White Gold Modular

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
For a much better chance of booting up, do NOT enable any XMP settings.

Keep the RAM running at 2,133MHz or 2,400MHz. The faster you clock your RAM, the less stable the system will be.

Are the DIMMs fitted in the sockets recommended in the motherboard manual.

Disable any CPU overclock.

Are all the 6/8-way PCIe power inputs on the 3070 connected to the PSU?

Do you have an alternative graphics card you can try. Anything that will fit in a PCIe slot should do. It will help to eliminate any problems in the 3070.

If the system still doesn't POST, clear the CMOS (BIOS) settings by removing the CR2032 battery, or temporarily moving a link on the mobo.

Jun 24, 2023
Thank you for your message and for your help ;)

DIMMS are in the correct sockets yes I know how it works.
There's no CPU overclock for now.
I have already reconnected all the cables carefully.
I don't have another graphics card but all the components are new and the card works fine.
I've already cleared the CMOS with the clear cmos button of the mb several times (and also removed the battery to be sure it's cleared).
I should mention that I have already installed the latest version of the bios properly.

After several tests, I notice that the PC works perfectly well when XMP is disabled and i get a POST.
But if I bought a RAM 3600MHz, it's to use it at its frequency, otherwise it's a shame and a bit a waste of money :/

Honestly I don't see where the problem is because the motherboard and the processor both support this frequency so where is the issue do you think?

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
You should regard the maximum XMP frequency of 3600MHz as a target to aim at and not 100% "guaranteed". If you study the wording of RAM or motherboard documentation, you may find weasel words such as "up to", implying you might not always achieve the maximum frequency.

It's a sad fact of life that not all systems are stable with XMP enabled straight out of the box. Sometimes a bit of manual tweaking with Primary timings is all that's required. Try relaxing CL (CAS) one step. Tweaking Tras sometimes helps too.

If your motherboard allows you to choose any intermediate XMP settings held in SPD, try 3,000, 3,200, and 3,400MHz in turn. Test for stability at each frequency.

Good luck.

Jun 24, 2023
Sometimes enabling XMP to have 3600 MHz works perfectly fine, even after multiple reboots. And sometimes it just crashes. It's weird. The motherboard accepts from 2133 to 5333 MHz.
I will try and see what I can do.