[SOLVED] Boot light on motherboard after changing CPU cooler

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
I just changed my Ryzen CPU cooler from the wraith cooler to a Corsair H100i. Following the change my computer no longer boots. At first it showed a DRAM error, then when I unplugged one of the ram blocks it now says boot error and is stuck on that. At one point it also said VGA error, but that seemed to go away and not reappear.

Things to note:

The cooler to mb cable is a 3 pin to 4 pin slot. I looked up the manual for H100i and it says it should be connected to a 3 or 4 pin connector, so I think that's fine but I'd rather note it.

When I unplugged the cooler and pulled it off, it pulled the CPU out with it and a small pin was bent. I straightened that pin and when I slotted the CPU back in after cleaning it it was nice and tight. I tried pulling it off from the sides and it didn't budge. I think that solved it, but I wanted to mention it in case something could have happened. At no point do I get the CPU error light.

I didn't have much space for the cooler, but it only pressed a slight bit on the ram blocks when I was mounting it. I have trouble believing they should in any way have taken damage. I have tried inspecting it from damage, but see no marks of any kind or bending.

My system is as follow
motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
cpu Ryzen 3600x
ram 2x8gb G.Skill RipjawsV ddr4-3200 cl14-14-14-34 1.35v
gpu MSI RTX 2080

Help would be very appreciated. I have no idea what's causing the problem, and why it suddenly occurred without any change in hardware except a cooler.

Last edited:
Solution
I didn't know to check for the fequency after doing that, thank you. It had changed to 2166 for some reason.

Now I can get the computer to turn on with 1 ram stick in slot number 2. I have also tried the other ram stick in the same slot, and it also boots.

However, trying slot 1 and 4 it does not even boot to bios. Even after removing the battery and flushing the system by holding down the power button. Neither does it work in slots 1 and 3 (had to try to make sure).

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems to be with my motherboard.
slot 1 and 4? do you mean 2 and 4? if not that could have been the problem "needs to be 2,4 for proper dimm communications. however from what you are explaining it sounds like there a mixed...
I just changed my Ryzen CPU cooler from the wraith cooler to a Corsair H100i. Following the change my computer no longer boots. At first it showed a DRAM error, then when I unplugged one of the ram blocks it now says boot error and is stuck on that. At one point it also said VGA error, but that seemed to go away and not reappear.

Things to note:

The cooler to mb cable is a 3 pin to 4 pin slot. I looked up the manual for H100i and it says it should be connected to a 3 or 4 pin connector, so I think that's fine but I'd rather note it.

When I unplugged the cooler and pulled it off, it pulled the CPU out with it and a small pin was bent. I straightened that pin and when I slotted the CPU back in after cleaning it it was nice and tight. I tried pulling it off from the sides and it didn't budge. I think that solved it, but I wanted to mention it in case something could have happened. At no point do I get the CPU error light.

I didn't have much space for the cooler, but it only pressed a slight bit on the ram blocks when I was mounting it. I have trouble believing they should in any way have taken damage. I have tried inspecting it from damage, but see no marks of any kind or bending.

My system is as follow
motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
cpu Ryzen 3600x
ram 2x8gb corsair ddr4 3200mhz vengeance
gpu MSI RTX 2080

Help would be very appreciated. I have no idea what's causing the problem, and why it suddenly occurred without any change in hardware except a cooler.
to start first question do you have your ram sticks in the correct spots the first ram stick shouldnt be up against the cpu "first slot" it should be in the second slot, the second stick should be in the fourth slot

View: https://imgur.com/ZcQTwjs

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
That is the setup I use, yes. At the moment the second ram stick is removed to try and troubleshoot. When I place it back in the fourth slot it gives me a DRAM error.

That is the setup I use, yes. At the moment the second ram stick is removed to try and troubleshoot. When I place it back in the fourth slot it gives me a DRAM error.
have you tried to clear the bios it sounds like it adjust the dram timing for so odd reason, and the now fighting to compute the data being spammed through it, pull the battery on your mobo "well unplugged" and hold the power button for 30s 2x then place the battery back in and psu. the post your pc to bios right away and set dram timing manually to 3200mhz unless oc'ing cpu then set them one step lower because they oc as you oc the cpu

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
have you tried to clear the bios it sounds like it adjust the dram timing for so odd reason, and the now fighting to compute the data being spammed through it, pull the battery on your mobo "well unplugged" and hold the power button for 30s 2x then place the battery back in and psu. the post your pc to bios right away and set dram timing manually to 3200mhz unless oc'ing cpu then set them one step lower because they oc as you oc the cpu
I didn't know to check for the fequency after doing that, thank you. It had changed to 2166 for some reason.

Now I can get the computer to turn on with 1 ram stick in slot number 2. I have also tried the other ram stick in the same slot, and it also boots.

However, trying slot 1 and 4 it does not even boot to bios. Even after removing the battery and flushing the system by holding down the power button. Neither does it work in slots 1 and 3 (had to try to make sure).

slot 1 and 4? do you mean 2 and 4? if not that could have been the problem "needs to be 2,4 for proper dimm communications. however from what you are explaining it sounds like there a mixed set of ram, or your kit is defective. i usually run into this issue when i a kit have order is defective my brother had this issue with a mixed set of ram using different speed frequency's even though they where the same speed. if it's a mixed set then you can try custom setting the ram timings to equal the same values on each stick this solved my brothers issues till he was able to buy a proper kit. I sadly had to switch to a laptop well waiting for a new kit to arrive because my ram sticks were old and out of warranty i had them through 3 systems. the other time i had just built my ryzen system and had failed to test the ram sticks in my other system before doing the full build and and didn't relize they worked seperatly however for some unknown reason wouldn't work together so had to push through with my old system till i got them replaced through newegg

Solution

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
slot 1 and 4? do you mean 2 and 4? if not that could have been the problem "needs to be 2,4 for proper dimm communications. however from what you are explaining it sounds like there a mixed set of ram, or your kit is defective. i usually run into this issue when i a kit have order is defective my brother had this issue with a mixed set of ram using different speed frequency's even though they where the same speed. if it's a mixed set then you can try custom setting the ram timings to equal the same values on each stick this solved my brothers issues till he was able to buy a proper kit. I sadly had to switch to a laptop well waiting for a new kit to arrive because my ram sticks were old and out of warranty i had them through 3 systems. the other time i had just built my ryzen system and had failed to test the ram sticks in my other system before doing the full build and and didn't relize they worked seperatly however for some unknown reason wouldn't work together so had to push through with my old system till i got them replaced through newegg
Yeah, I meant slots 2 and 4. The thing is... It worked before I switched the cooler. I've been running this hardware for months. I have no idea what the heck happened that changed my ram settings, or why it won't boot with 2 ram sticks now.

Yeah, I meant slots 2 and 4. The thing is... It worked before I switched the cooler. I've been running this hardware for months. I have no idea what the heck happened that changed my ram settings, or why it won't boot with 2 ram sticks now.
yeah it's kinda odd, do me a favor seat one ram stick and let the pc boot all the way once it's boots fully check the ram in use, committed, cached, and available. if you can post a photo of task mangers performance tab under memory. plus this pc's properties ram amount

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
yeah it's kinda odd, do me a favor seat one ram stick and let the pc boot all the way once it's boots fully check the ram in use, committed, cached, and available. if you can post a photo of task mangers performance tab under memory. plus this pc's properties ram amount
Task Manager of ram block 1

When I tried switching ram blocks today the second one would not let my computer boot, even after the same battery removal etc. method. I guess something happened to the ram stick somehow.