Boot loop after bios update.

llort14

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello friends from tomshardware.
Today, a friend gave me a MSI H61m-p23 B3 motherboard. After install it, I updated the BIOS to version 19.0, update went successful but after that, PC restarted and now, it won't even Post. It just turns on, my dvd drive, keyboard and mouse turn on (their LEDS begin to work as usual), fans spin, cpu cooler spins really hard for 1 second and then goes to normal speed, hard drive begins to spin, but this only lasts like 6 seconds, and then, PC restarts, again and again.... Sometimes it justs turns on and it keeps on like that, without making any noise and I need to shut it off by pressing the power switch.

I haven't cleared the CMOS since right now I'm not at home, but what else can I try, in case it doesn't works with that? What about using Ctrl + Home and an USB stick with a previous bios rom in order to recover it?

My build: Intel core I5 2400
8gb RAM 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
500gb Western Digital Blue Caviar Sata Drive
LG 22x DVD Sata drive
HIS IceqX Turbo 2GB 6850 with unlocked shaders (not flashed to 6870)

Thanks in advance.

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Well you should only update the bios if you are having problems. It might be possible that you flashed a beta bios and it might have some problems with your hardware. Ask your friend if he would be willing to put his chip in your board to see if it posts. It also appears that the board you have has onboard graphics. Try booting off that and maybe there is something wrong with your card. You mentioned that you have not used the clear CMOS switch which is what I would recommend doing first. Its probably some strange config you have and it can be fixed with a few resets.

llort14

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Yesterday I replied but my answer is not here. Clearing the CMOS didn't worked, but I found out that when I connect a USB stick, the boot loop is interrupted and the pc stays on, with my usb blinking like if it's reading/writing. If i remove the stick, the boot loop continues.

Any idea? And btw, no, I don't get any display.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
found this:
For new boards with AMI BIOS core 8 (4MB)

Discovered by Jack The Newbie:

Of course, the steps are similar to the standard AMI BIOS Recovery Procedure for internal floppy drives (rename corresponding BIOS File to AMIBOOT.ROM, hit CTRL + HOME after starting the system).

What has to be done (tested on P45 Platinum):

1. An optical SATA Drive needs to be connected to one of the Intel ICH10R SATA ports. {After a lot of testing, It was found that it does not work with the same optical drive connected to the SATA Ports hosted by the secondary JMicron Controller. Also, using an optical drive on the JMicron IDE/PATA port does not help either.}

2. A proper BIOS File has to be renamed to AMIBOOT.ROM and burned on an empty CD.

3. CMOS-Clear with main A/C power cable removed from PSU has to be performed. {If this step is not done, the system will reboot after pressing CTRL + Home and will not proceed with recovery procedure.}

4. Press CTRL + Home to trigger BIOS Recovery. -> The system should enter BIOS Recovery Routine. {Will basically work with both USB & PS/2 keyboard. However, a PS/2 Keyboard is recommended as the system will respond earlier to PS/2 Keyboard than to USB Devices.}

What should happen now:

1. After pressing CTRL + HOME the LED Status should change to "Intializing Hard Disk Controller" and there should be access to the optical drive connected to the Intel ICH10R SATA ports.

2. It can take up to 30+ seconds until the BIOS File that was renamed to AMIBOOT.ROM is found. {Drive Bay can be opened to try a different CD without turning off or restarting the system.}

3. When the system finds the BIOS File, LED Status will change to "Testing RTC" and there should be a message on the screen indicating that the Flash Recovery Procedure has started.

4. Since the BIOS File is in MB's in size, it will take a while until the BIOS is actually reflashed.

Its also possible that BIOS recovery on boards with AMIBIOS8 can be done using a FAT-formatted USB stick, containing the renamed BIOS file. Be warned, in some circumstances it may take several moments before recovery procedure actually begins.

might help
what you said about ctrl+home and usb stick might work as well but i am not sure of that.

Apr 8, 2019
Im stuck over here with the same problem trying to update the bios but it just won't flash. current motherboard H61M-P23 (B3) version H.60 (17.6). Please I'm in desperate need of help..