[SOLVED] Boot loop after installing window 11

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hello...This is one of the weirdest situation and I am not sure if anybody has had any experience with that. Let's talk about the spec of my PC.

CPU: Threadripper x1950
Mobo: Asrock x399 gaming professional
RAM: Gskills 32gb
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti
OS Hard drive: Intel 750 Series SSDPEDMW012T4X1 1.2TB PCIe 3.0 Solid State Drive SSD
PSU: Seasonic Prime 1000

Anyway, here is the problem. I have enabled the secure boot and set the TPM and have converted the primary harddrive to gpt format. And window 11 was installed fine. However, after restarting the computer, it just went into the boot loop. As soon as the computer booted up and got to the asrock logo screen, and the computer just rebooted itself. This sequence happened endlessly. No problem with window 10.

If you said well, your processor is not compatible with it, probably that is the problem. Well...I have tried installing window 11 with a lot of different approaches. I tried registry hack, tried rufus which disable TPM and secureboot and I even tried some of the hacked version of window 11. All of them were successfully installed but the same problem still occurred - bootloop. I tried flashing the bios with instantflash provided by default by asrock but the darn utility or software did not detect or recognize it. So my question is whether it is the problem with the asrock motherboard x399 gaming professional? But it works with window 10 completely fine. I am just scratching my head right now. I have emailed technical support, but I doubt they will respond on time or ever reply me back, which is why I am posting the question here and see if anybody has similar problem? Thanks for reading and helping guys.

Solution
On this tutorial, in section 2 (Installing windows), it does a restart after step 8 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
is that when it stops for you? (I realise you installed win 11 but process is more or less same)

if so, its not hardware, its windows.

as that means windows isn't really finished, its half installed. I seen this before, seems to happen a lot on Asus boards
Did you change boot order so that USB is 1st? you shouldn't need to, your bios has boot override

You need to start again
put usb in PC before startup
Go into bios at startup
make sure the ssd you want windows on is top of list in boot order (if bios has a choice called Windows Boot Manager, use it)
Go into...

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you get past the stage where you set up accounts?

Windows doesn't normally need a restart after its installed, but it does do a restart during the install that some PC can get stuck at and not continue, so I just thought I would ask?

Colif

Win 11 Master
On this tutorial, in section 2 (Installing windows), it does a restart after step 8 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
is that when it stops for you? (I realise you installed win 11 but process is more or less same)

if so, its not hardware, its windows.

as that means windows isn't really finished, its half installed. I seen this before, seems to happen a lot on Asus boards
Did you change boot order so that USB is 1st? you shouldn't need to, your bios has boot override

You need to start again
put usb in PC before startup
Go into bios at startup
make sure the ssd you want windows on is top of list in boot order (if bios has a choice called Windows Boot Manager, use it)
Go into advanced view/Boot
on the save and exit screen, choose boot override
Pick USB from the list.

what this choice does is it will boot PC from the Install USB one time, and the next boot it will swap back to normal and should allow the install to actually finish.

it shows on page 96 here but they don't say what it does - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming.pdf

Solution

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Well...I have to resort to the darn legacy bios in order to install window 11. But why? When I enabled uefi firmware it just went into bootloader. But when installing window then it was fine. I have converted mbr to gpt back and forth, no success. Success only occurs when using legacy bios. What the heck is wrong?