Mantha065

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
If consumers had real rights in the tech industry I would sue the ass cheeks off Microsoft for fraud and faulty products.
Third time this has happened- stuck in a boot loop. The only keys that ever do anything are F2 Setup, and F12 Boot Options. Neither of them allow me to use safe mode. Is there any conceivable way that I can get around the boot loop and fix it WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows? I'm sick of having to wipe my SSD.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If consumers had real rights in the tech industry I would sue the ass cheeks off Microsoft for fraud and faulty products.
Third time this has happened- stuck in a boot loop. The only keys that ever do anything are F2 Setup, and F12 Boot Options. Neither of them allow me to use safe mode. Is there any conceivable way that I can get around the boot loop and fix it WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows? I'm sick of having to wipe my SSD.
Wait hold fire. How many times have you had to do this on your current system?
If you've had to do this multiple times on your current system it sooner sounds like a hardware or firmware problem, not an OS problem.

What OS is it? W10?
When did the issue start?

Mantha065

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Three times over the past six months. Windows 10. The previous two times I had to reinstall Windows via SupportAssist OS Recovery. Each time I disabled the windows update service, but for whatever reason, the service would come back on as manual (triggered) and eventually Windows would attempt to update. The previous two times the updates appeared to install, but upon "completion" I'd get the boot loop. This time, I was able to choose Shut Down instead of Shut Down And Update when I got off last night. And yet, by some miracle, Microsoft scored another one on me and messed up my computer yet again.
I seriously want to sue them, even though I've got no money. Screw this business-controlled society.

edit : language

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any particular reason why you're disabling the updates?
This definitely sooner sounds like either hardware or some of your current drivers not being updated or compatible with later windows.

Must say, I've never encountered this kind of problem with Windows unless something else was causing it.
What's your full system spec including PSU make and model?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have any overclock or XMP enabled?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only keys that ever do anything are F2 Setup, and F12 Boot Options. Neither of them allow me to use safe mode.

they are BIOS choices, windows hasn't loaded by this stage.
Safe mode disabled at boot anyway on Win10, can only get into it if you can get as far as login screen.

I was going to ask questions PC did in 2nd post so I leave it to him... also, seems part of conversation missing? is it in a PM?

Colif

Win 11 Master
4.30am,. I will look in morning :)

watch language, family friendly site :)

you shouldn't boot loop after an update, did PC restart normally when not doing an update? main difference is on a normal shutdown/restart, the PC isn't actually off. So did PC have problems doing restarts normally?

that could mean resetting bios could fix, as it might be a power setting not matching between it and motherboard

PC specs will help..

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Mantha065

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Sorry about the language, you're right. I'm just boiling with anger right now, this is outrageous.
I disabled the updates because they always resulted in a boot loop. I update all my drivers regularly, so i'd be surprised if that was the problem. System: perfectly stock Dell Inspiron 5680. No overclocking or anything. As for BIOS, I updated that about about a month ago when I updated all my other drivers. Don't know the exact version, sorry.
Shutting down/restarting the PC always works fine, it's only when Windows tries to update do things go bad.

Mantha065

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I use Driver Easy to tell me what needs to be updated and where to download the drivers, but I update them manually myself, and I take as much care as possible to follow each step correctly. And yeah, every single driver that the program points out, including motherboard, chipset, all that. I restart my PC after driver updates and everything works fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, tbf, he is using it for about the only safe use of 3rd party driver updaters, as suggestions. Problem is that there is no guarantee what it is suggesting is right. Before I knew better, I used Driver Booster 2 times and both times it installed the wrong things meaning I had to fix its updates.

You are right that he doesn't need driver easy though as Dell has its own updating software that's normally installed on its devices

website can search for drivers for you - https://www.dell.com/support/home/a.../product/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/drivers

you could run windows update before updating drivers as it might actually find some of them for you.

I know you don't want to hear about a clean install again but it might be only way back into windows.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - best to use newest version rather than older one

is there anything on dell you want to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you saved any files you want, follow this
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: PC Tailor