BOOT LOOP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Okay so my friend's computer stopped working, it would get to the windows boot animation then it would restart, it keeps doing this. But when I plug it into my computer, it boots fine. So considering that it will work on mine but not his, I'm guessing there is a hardware problem. The thing is, it broke out of no where, the computer parts aren't too old. (2009) soooo I'm stuck. I already tried reinstalling the OS. Same problem.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
For ram, try pulling all ram out except 1 stick, test with Memtest, then add 1 stick at a time until you see errors. Also check the capacitors on the motherboard, get a flashlight, and look at the capacitors, check for any capacitors that may be bulging or leaking. If there any like that, your friend's motherboard may be going bad.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
if its restarting during boot like you say i would test the ram. sounds like theres a critical error during the load process. boot with single sticks installed till you find the culprit. run memtest if you like also.

"Okay so my friend's computer stopped working, it would get to the windows boot animation then it would restart, it keeps doing this. But when I plug it into my computer, it boots fine."
are you taking his hard drive out and booting the os on your system?

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Yes I take it out of his, and plug it into mine, then set boot priority to his HDD and boot off it.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Okay i'll try that, but I don't think it could be the RAM, he hasn't opened the case at all, just played games on it.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
For ram, try pulling all ram out except 1 stick, test with Memtest, then add 1 stick at a time until you see errors. Also check the capacitors on the motherboard, get a flashlight, and look at the capacitors, check for any capacitors that may be bulging or leaking. If there any like that, your friend's motherboard may be going bad.

Solution

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I took out each ram and tested the other. Nothing changing. All capacitors look fine. I think I might try my hard drive in it just to make sure it isn't his.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Just keyboard, power cord, and VGA. I'll try the safe mode in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.