Boot loop with no post

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hey, i recently replaced my amd motherboard with an intel mobo, bought a pair of ddr4 memory sticks and an i7 cpu.

For some reason after assembling the computer, whenever i try to boot the pc, every single fan start to spin for 3-5 seconds without showing the post screen and shuts down afterwards. Then the computer restart itself doing the same thing over and over entering a "boot loop".

Any clue of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Have you tried disconnecting EVERYTHING except for CPU, Motherboard, and Power Supply to see if it will behave the same way? In this configuration it should give you beep codes as the ram is not installed. If you do not get beep codes, my guess is the issue is between the motherboard and CPU.

Do you have bent CPU pins? This is very common. Many people when installing CPU's bump the inside of the CPU socket bending the pins. This results in open circuits which will make your computer not boot. Even one bent pin will most likely cause a no boot. Get a magnifying glass and check for a bent pin. If you feel up to it bend it back. Note: bending pins is your fault and no manufacturer or retailer will take the equipment back for replacement...

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Did everything with no luck.

I7 6700k
Gigabyte z170x-gaming3
DDR4 crucial memory stick
R9 290 tri-X
Tacens valeo 800W 80 plus silver
Ultra II SSD SanDisk
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

This is how i have the comp assembled right now

edit 1: this is what's actually happening every time i boot the computer

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9nutuogsdplq53/20151216_013118.mp4?dl=0

edit 2: dissassembled it and assembled it once again in a wooden surface to avoid shorts, still doing the boot loop :(

solla4ever

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi...

I am having the same issue. My specs are
GA Z170x gaming 7
core i7-6700k
DDR4 2666mhz - 16GB (Corsair)
Samsung 850 pro 256GB...

I am into assembling for many years and I have tried everything and Its for sure motherboard issue..

I have installed windows 10 successfully and it was running without any problem for few hours and suddenly it started to reboot without any warning... sometimes it will shut and up in the bios itself (Gigabyte logo), sometimes it will load to windows and in few mins it happens... I tried everything, even different hdd, ram, vga and etc.. and I am sure this is motherboard issue... My CPU temp max is 40 mostly its 36 C

I am going to replace the motherboard and see.... so far no solution for this in the net or anywhere... Maybe it might get resolve with bios update but not sure, its better to change it...

gilbadon

Distinguished
Have you tried disconnecting EVERYTHING except for CPU, Motherboard, and Power Supply to see if it will behave the same way? In this configuration it should give you beep codes as the ram is not installed. If you do not get beep codes, my guess is the issue is between the motherboard and CPU.

Do you have bent CPU pins? This is very common. Many people when installing CPU's bump the inside of the CPU socket bending the pins. This results in open circuits which will make your computer not boot. Even one bent pin will most likely cause a no boot. Get a magnifying glass and check for a bent pin. If you feel up to it bend it back. Note: bending pins is your fault and no manufacturer or retailer will take the equipment back for replacement. It is miss use of the product.

Do you get any beep codes? You may need to install a speaker if one is not built in.

Try removing the heatsink and running the CPU without any cooler on it. If that allows you to boot to bios, you have an issue with your mounting of the cpu cooler shorting out your memory traces which is quite common. Keep the computer on for short amounts of time when testing this <1min as to not harm your CPU from overheating.

Please provide your EXACT memory model as that is important. If your memory is not supported by the manufacturer, than you are SOL unless you bought a new set. It was a mistake in the first place not to buy a dual channel kit. A single stick of ram does not work as well as 2 in dual channel.

Please answer these and we will be able to further diagnose the problem.

Solution

solla4ever

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Its like this, you cannot say when its getting reboot, sometimes its juts loading the windows and even I can open and do anything in it suddenly reboot.. sometimes in 10mins, sometimes in 20 sometimes in 30mins... sometimes it will just load the gigabyte logo (bios) screen and boot, so its not even loading to harddisk so its not hardware issue...

And I have checked with onboard vga and still the same..
I tried separate VGA and still the same
I tried different hard disks and still the same..

I tried to reinstall the windows and it was up and installed fully (but just took 5mins) and again got reboot.. and again I tried to install the os in different hard disk and during the installation itself it rebooted...

So, if its something with cpu or socket pin than it shouldnt even boot to windows, but its booting so I am sure this is something with do with motherboard... What do you say?

gilbadon

Distinguished

I am sorry @solla4ever, I was talking to the OP in my previous post. As for you, what is your power supply and what is your ram configuration (2x8 or 4x4)?

Do you still get the reboot problem with half of your ram installed and without a graphics card installed? It could be many problems. It could also be a bad power source getting dirty and noise ridden voltage from the wall. Let me know the answer to the above and I will help you more

solla4ever

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Yes I tried the ram with different slots and as well with single ram too...
My PSU - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready
Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz (LT) x 2

If its power issue, than it shouldnt be on for hours right? Because previous day I was working on the pc almost more than 1hr I think 2hr or so....

gilbadon

Distinguished
Power from the wall can be dirtier depending on time of day. Sometimes there is a higher load on the system which will cause more noise. Where do you live? Are you plugged directly into the wall? Have you tried a different outlet?

Have you tried running the PC without the graphics card?

One last thing is there are windows dump logs which have why the PC shut down. I do not know how to read these myself, but they will show you almost exactly why the PC had shutdown. A quick google search will show you how to read them. You need to have the computer booted to do so however, which may take you a few tries.

solla4ever

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I am from Sri Lanka / Colombo and here power is no issue at all and here I have other computers as well which all running for years without any issue...

Yes and I tried with onboard VGA too...

I will try this logs but this reboot is not like normal reboot, suddenly everything shut and up again.. and this happens before the hdd load, so this logs wont be useful I think.. do you get it what I mean?

gilbadon

Distinguished
Yes, I understand, but it also happens you said 10 minutes into running. When that happens, there will be a log created.

This is why we know it is a power problem The PC is just shutting down. Yes it could be a heat issue, but that seems unlikely as it reboots on the splash screen sometimes.

If you truly think that your power from the wall is good quality, you may just have a faulty supply. I bet the windows error log is just going to say the voltage dropped out from the supply and the system shutoff.

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hi again, i just tryied to boot it without the other components and as expected, boot loop. Tried it only with the cpu. About trying it without the cooler, won't it fry the cpu?

Since it's still on warranty and the place where i bought both components is open, i'm going to bring it there and tell then if they can test it since they have a "tech" zone.

The ram is a Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 @ 2400Mhz with "meh" latencies. Got a pair of those sticks.

I'll take it to the shop and in 1 hour i'll give some feedback!

edit: going to try 1st without the cooler, lets see what happens !

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I think i found out the issue. Still no beeps with the speaker plugged in BUT i just noticed that the PSU fans aren't spinning. Did it die?

Edit: I mean, seems like it still works since it draws power but just as i said, the cpu fans are spining but the psu aren't.

edit2: video showing about what actually happens!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1otdp0zqu0h68e/20151216_201047.mp4?dl=0

As you can see, the light on the psu is on when i try to power the computer, after 5 seconds it turns off.

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Not at home anymore but i made sure to flip it during each try to make sure. I'll try later removing the memory sticks :(

Tomorrow morning i'll know for sure if it's the mobo/cpu. They told me at the shop that i can bring the psu and the ram aswell so they check everything properly.

I will still try a bit more once i'm at home! Thanks for all the help!

AxelBlade

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hello again!

Thanks for all the help, seems like the cpu and the memory sticks were both fried. They tested it at the store and gave me another pair of memory sticks and cpu.

Now i'm posting from the computer!

You were very helpful gilbadon! The thing that made me realize it was probably the cpu, was from trying to boot it only with the cpu + mobo and not getting any beep sounds :p

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS