Question Boot manager partition location

iamchazzi

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to set my dual boot system back up. I just made a fresh reinstall of Windows under UEFI on my M.2 SSD. I have an existing partition of arch linux on a 2.5" SSD. I had rEFInd on my 2.5" a while ago but I think it got overwritten by either a Windows update or reinstall. Anyways, now I want to get my Arch partition back and ideally put rEFInd on my M.2, although I'm open to putting it on either, without deleting any data.
I was considering wiping my 2.5" completely and replacing it with a new, less fussy distro until I noticed that Arch was still on my drive. (sda4 was to back up and move my windows files)
image0.jpg

Then this is the allocation on my M.2.
image0.jpg

As you can see there's a Windows Boot manager on both drives. The 2.5" does not show up in BIOS. I was wondering where I would install rEFInd in order to give me the option to boot to both.
If that is not possible I can install a new distro on the 2.5" but I would like to keep Arch for the novelty of having set it up myself.

If I need to add anything to my description please let me know.
Thanks for the advice!

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Windows Boot Manager - If there’s no the “System Reserved” partition, probably the BOOTMGR is located on the primary hard drive (in most cases it’s C drive). The boot manager will execute winload.exe, which is the system loader that is used to continue the Windows boot process.