Boot Manager

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Was wondering if it's possible to install the boot manager without having to re-install Windows 2000. So if I have a pre-existing installation of Windows 95/98/ME/NT and another drive with 2000 that have both been in the same system and now want to run a dual boot situation. Seeing as Windows 2000 has it's own boot manager, how do I install it?

Does anyone know? I was just trying to help out in another post and that popped into my mind and wondered how one would go about doing that!

Some of what I have found is that all you would have to do is Copy the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD-ROM to the root folder of your boot drive. Is that all there is to it?

Thanks for anything! It's always appreciated!

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You can make a bootsect.dos file by making a text file called read.scr containing the following:
<font color=purple><b>
L 100 4 0 1
N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
R BX
R CX
W
Q
</b></font color=purple>

Run this through the <b>debug</b> assembler provided with dos/windows as follows:

<b><font color=purple>debug <read.scr</font color=purple></b>

There should be a file called bootsect.dos in your c:\ directory.

If this file already isn't in the root of your Win2k boot drive, put it there. If it isn't <b>c:</b>, you might have to change the bit of the assembler script to reflect your boot drive.

Make a backup of your <b>boot.ini</b> file, and edit the <b>boot.ini</b>. Add this line line in the <b>[operating systems]</b> section:
<b><font color=purple>C:\BOOTSECT.W98="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"</font color=purple></b>

Save the file, make sure you set System, Hidden and Read Only flags. Reboot your system and hopefully the new boot option will work.

Also, make sure you set the menu to be displayed long enough before it dissapears.

This can be done in the <b>[boot loader]</b> section of the 'boot.ini'.
e.g. <font color=purple><b>timeout=20</b></font color=purple>

Hope it works.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Thanks for the detail. I'm not actually doing it, I just wanted to know if it was possible and how to do it.

Do you have a link to where you got that information or any other site with detailed information about that task?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Oops... the first line of the script has some details specific to the partitions of the target hard drive. That one worked for My hard drive.

The website I got the info from is this: <A HREF="http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/ntfs-dual-boot.html" target="_new">http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/ntfs-dual-boot.html</A>. Its kinda old.

Actually, as I recall my multiboot didn't work properly until I installed Linux. I had the partitions all setup beforehand, including the Linux partition. But, the bootsect.dos didn't seem to work until I actually installed Linux (bizarre!). Then I just extracted Linux boot sector and placed that in the Win2k boot drive and added it to the boot menu.

Also, I should mention that extracting boot sectors is much easier from Linux. I forgot the commands but the Linux Gurus here should be able to help you with that.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>