[SOLVED] Boot MGR missing, issue persists after windows 10 install. What now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 29, 2020
My computer build consists of two drives, a 250GB SSD and a 3TB spinning HD. The OS is installed on the 250GB SSD.

I have been experiencing the problem message "BOOT MGR MISSING" upon startup of my PC for quite some time now. I didn't know how to fix the problem, so to work around the issue I have simply booted from my 3TB HDD which has worked consistently for at least the past two years now.

Fast forward to present day, I purchased a new copy of Windows 10 and installed on my computer. I of course was hoping to solve my boot mgr missing issue but it was not resolved. I suspect this is because as the computer restarted several times throughout the install, as usual I received the BOOT MGR MISSING error message. So throughout the install process I would enter BIOS and boot from my 3TB HDD. I tried booting from my SSD several times but continually received the BOOT MGR error message. The results, predictably I guess, are that my BOOT MGR MISSING problem has carried over into my windows 10 install.

Can someone please guide me on how to solve this boot mgr problem for good? I have done lots of googling on the issue. I'm just tentative about my actions because I do not want to lose my data on the computer (pictures etc.)

I would attach a photo of my disk management window, but I cannot figure out how to insert a photo... It would probably help with solving the problem. Here is my attempt at attaching a photo... please help!

Full size: View attachment 123

Solution
To show your pic, upload it to imgur.com and post the link here.
Disk Management window.

But...this usually happens.
I have revised steps (via Macrium) that fixes that during the clone process.

To "fix it" without cloning again, you'll have to use a 3rd part partition tool to merge that Unallocated space into the new C.
Minitool Partition Wizard.

Or, simply use that partition as another volume and drive letter.

Or, redo the clone operation, and you can manipulate the size of the target partitions before you hit the GO button.

Steps in the middle, starting with "if you are going from...."

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used...
Jul 29, 2020
Is there an elegant way to do this so restoring my data from this drive is simple as possible? This HDD is where I store all my valuable data (ie pictures, mostly my lightroom library).

Here is an article that says I can use minitools wizard to convert to MBR-->GPT without data loss. Would you recommend this route? http://partitionmanagement.blogspot...to change MBR,some problems without data loss.

FYI I have already cloned this HDD, so I do have a backup in worst case scenario.

Jul 29, 2020
also, this issue seems to be separate from the question of how to recover the unallocated partition of the HDD. When I right click on the drive the option to "new simple volume" is greyed out. Any suggestions for me to UN-unallocate this space on the HDD?