[SOLVED] Boot MGR missing, issue persists after windows 10 install. What now?

Jul 29, 2020
My computer build consists of two drives, a 250GB SSD and a 3TB spinning HD. The OS is installed on the 250GB SSD.

I have been experiencing the problem message "BOOT MGR MISSING" upon startup of my PC for quite some time now. I didn't know how to fix the problem, so to work around the issue I have simply booted from my 3TB HDD which has worked consistently for at least the past two years now.

Fast forward to present day, I purchased a new copy of Windows 10 and installed on my computer. I of course was hoping to solve my boot mgr missing issue but it was not resolved. I suspect this is because as the computer restarted several times throughout the install, as usual I received the BOOT MGR MISSING error message. So throughout the install process I would enter BIOS and boot from my 3TB HDD. I tried booting from my SSD several times but continually received the BOOT MGR error message. The results, predictably I guess, are that my BOOT MGR MISSING problem has carried over into my windows 10 install.

Can someone please guide me on how to solve this boot mgr problem for good? I have done lots of googling on the issue. I'm just tentative about my actions because I do not want to lose my data on the computer (pictures etc.)

I would attach a photo of my disk management window, but I cannot figure out how to insert a photo... It would probably help with solving the problem. Here is my attempt at attaching a photo... please help!

Full size: View attachment 123

Solution
To show your pic, upload it to imgur.com and post the link here.
Disk Management window.

But...this usually happens.
I have revised steps (via Macrium) that fixes that during the clone process.

To "fix it" without cloning again, you'll have to use a 3rd part partition tool to merge that Unallocated space into the new C.
Minitool Partition Wizard.

Or, simply use that partition as another volume and drive letter.

Or, redo the clone operation, and you can manipulate the size of the target partitions before you hit the GO button.

Steps in the middle, starting with "if you are going from...."

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used...

USAFRet

Titan
When you installed the OS, was more than one physical drive connected?
Absolute best practice is to do the install with only ONE drive connected.

Jul 29, 2020
I did the install with both drives connected, unfortunately. I would assume that if I only had my 250GB SSD connected while installing, when the computer restarted itself multiple times I would have encountered the BOOT MGR MISSING error?

@wpgwpg funny enough I just performed another search on my problems and something I found also pointed me to EasyBCD. Can you provide more detail how to use EasyBCD to solve my problem? I am a complete neophyte when it comes to troubleshooting PCs so keep that in mind :)

My "System Reserved" partition is actually on my 3TB HDD, which I assume I should actually be on the SSD. This is the problem I try to illustrate by attaching photo of my disk management.

USAFRet

Titan
My "System Reserved" partition is actually on my 3TB HDD, which I assume I should actually be on the SSD. This is the problem I try to illustrate by attaching photo of my disk management.
Right.
That generally happens when more than one drive is connected.
If that "other" drive fails or you remove it, no boot for you...:(

Here, I suspect the 3TB "other drive" is failed/failing.

EasyBCD may work, but the best way, since this is a brand new install, to just redo it.
With only the desired SSD connected.

And you absolutely did not have to "buy" a new OS.

Jul 29, 2020
OK here's where I am now. My Boot MGR Missing problem seems to be resolved. Here's what I did:

Within EasyBCD I selected BCD Backup/Repair and changed my boot drive to C drive. I then shut down and disconnected all other drives but the SSD and the computer boots up without problems. I have booted a few times with no issues whatsoever.

Now I am trying to replace my 250GB SSD which is basically completely full with a larger 1TB SSD. I need to migrate all data including the OS to this larger SSD.

@USAFRet I used your step by step instructions you have posted elsewhere on the forums:

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

I completed the above steps. Now, with all other drives disconnected besides the new larger SSD, the computer boots no problem. HOWEVER in disk management a large portion of the new SSD space is unallocated. How can I unlock this space? My disk management looks like the following:

Disk 0
Basic
931.51 GB

FIRST PARTITION
223.04 GB NTFS; Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

SECOND Partition
535 MB; Healthy (Recovery Partition)

THIRD PARTITION
707.94 GB; Unallocated

I would have posted a simple screen shot but still do not know how to post an attachment somehow.

Thank you so much for your help. I can't tell you how long I've struggled with this Boot MGR problem.

PS my initial PC build was with what turned about to be an illegitimate copy of Windows 7 which I was never able to activate. Hence whyafter two long years I finally decided to purchase and install a legit copy of Windows OS.

USAFRet

Titan
To show your pic, upload it to imgur.com and post the link here.
Disk Management window.

But...this usually happens.
I have revised steps (via Macrium) that fixes that during the clone process.

To "fix it" without cloning again, you'll have to use a 3rd part partition tool to merge that Unallocated space into the new C.
Minitool Partition Wizard.

Or, simply use that partition as another volume and drive letter.

Or, redo the clone operation, and you can manipulate the size of the target partitions before you hit the GO button.

Steps in the middle, starting with "if you are going from...."

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Jul 29, 2020
Ok, I am going to try to reclone according to your instructions above.

Here is where I am now.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/ctAM9Qq

I clicked into the "Cloned Partition Properties" but I could only reclaim the unallocated space by integrating with the second partition of the original 250GB SSD ("NTFS Primary" 450MB/535MB)

Is there a way to make the final, larger SSD one large partition with everything included? Is this desirable? Is there a reason my old 250GB SSD was split into two partitions?

Just want to be sure I am set up optimally and prevent future problems. Thank youuuu!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 29, 2020
Got it. When I highlight Target C and click cloned partition properties, the only way I could claim the unallocated space was by manipulating the "NTFS Primary" partition. When I tried to manipulate the "NTFS Active" partition it would only allow me to divide that partition into two - 1) 201GB in size and completely full, and 2)22GB and completely free.

I hope that makes sense. Sorry if I'm using weird terminology as again, this is all very new to me.

USAFRet

Titan
Got it. When I highlight Target C and click cloned partition properties, the only way I could claim the unallocated space was by manipulating the "NTFS Primary" partition. When I tried to manipulate the "NTFS Active" partition it would only allow me to divide that partition into two - 1) 201GB in size and completely full, and 2)22GB and completely free.

I hope that makes sense. Sorry if I'm using weird terminology as again, this is all very new to me.
Right.
The Primary Partition.

You should be able to hover over the 'end' of that partition, and drag it to consume the whole space (or most of it)
wJMfaQJ.png

Jul 29, 2020
OK I ended up making recloning using Macrium Reflect, as shown in the picture I posted above. The 700GB of unallocated space is now part of the "Healthy (Recovery Partition)". Here is a photo of my disk management after completing reclone. Is this OK?? Something is telling me it is suboptimal. In which case I would like to make the changes necessary to bring it up to optimal.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/oHM2Wfh

Jul 29, 2020
Now I have shut down the computer, reconnected my 3TB HDD. Here is what my disk management says now.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jOpQXhj

Any thoughts on this? Can I delete the system reserved partition? I could keep if necessary it is not very large.

I tried right clicking on the 2047GB partition, and selected extend volume (in order to handle the current 746GB unallocated partition) but received an error message:

"Only the first 2 TB are usable on large MBR disks. Cannot create partitions beyond the 2TB mark, nor convert the disk to dynamic"

Seriously thank you. I could not do it without your help!!!!!