[SOLVED] Boot of an SSD in Mac OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaladMan123

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Is it possible to get an ssd with windows already installed on it (not an installation) and boot into that ssd from Mac OSX?

Solution

its true some may luck out and be able get get it to boot but most times it will not boot up or will keep giving you errors. but since the OP is trying to get this to work with a MAC then it is less likely any windows install on an SSD drive would be configured to work with apple's bootcamp

SaladMan123

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

I remember when I upgraded from my i3 2100 to a i5 3570k I didn't format the drive but my installation still worked. The motherboard and cpu were completely different, the only thing that stayed the same was my GPU a GTX 750

its true some may luck out and be able get get it to boot but most times it will not boot up or will keep giving you errors. but since the OP is trying to get this to work with a MAC then it is less likely any windows install on an SSD drive would be configured to work with apple's bootcamp

Solution

SaladMan123

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Okay thanks for everything guys

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I've done this successfully several times. The 1st time was when I removed a standard 2.5" HD from a Lenovo laptop(running Windows 10) and installed it into a 2012 Macbook Pro. It booted up to Windows 10 just fine and everything worked(including updates). I experimented with a 2011 iMac and it worked just fine with that also. As far as with an actual SSD... I have also tested with a 2.5" SSD(also with Windows 10) and it worked just fine as well.
I have only tested with Windows 10. I'm certain it will not work with Windows 7 and highly doubt it will work with Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.