Boot Old recovered win 8 Partition

Michael Price

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hello.
I had a brand new laptop with win 8 installed and setup the way I wanted.
Than it somehow became unbootable!

I deleted all the old partitions except for the OS partition.

I resized this partition, and moved it to the end of the disk.

I than reinstalled windows 8 into the unallocated section of the disk.

The new windows 8 boots fine, and I can access the old windows 8 files via D:

But I cannot get this old partition to boot.

I tried adding it using easybsd, but it will still not boot.

How can I get this partition booting again, so I can remove the new windows8 install?

Solution
You may be able to restore boot functionality simply by using BootRec to locate the Windows operating system that is not currently bootable and adding it to the Boot Configuration Database (BCD). Since you have a working Windows 8 environment, you can simply open an Administrative Command Prompt by right clicking in the lower left corner of the screen where the Start Screen would launch and selecting Command Prompt (Admin) from the list of administrative tools. Then enter:

Code:
BootRec /ScanOS
This will scan the drive for additional compatible operating systems and when detected provide you with the option to add them to the BCD.

If this does not detect the installation you may want to try /RebuildBCD.

You may be able to add...

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
You may be able to restore boot functionality simply by using BootRec to locate the Windows operating system that is not currently bootable and adding it to the Boot Configuration Database (BCD). Since you have a working Windows 8 environment, you can simply open an Administrative Command Prompt by right clicking in the lower left corner of the screen where the Start Screen would launch and selecting Command Prompt (Admin) from the list of administrative tools. Then enter:

Code:
BootRec /ScanOS
This will scan the drive for additional compatible operating systems and when detected provide you with the option to add them to the BCD.

If this does not detect the installation you may want to try /RebuildBCD.

You may be able to add the installation to the BCD but will be unable to boot the operating system if you have made significant alterations to the way your system operates, such as changing the system firmware from UEFI mode to BIOS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS