Boot Order Not Having Any Effect

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I have an Acer aspire e15 e5-575-33bm, which comes with an HDD, however, I decided to upgrade to an M.2 SSD. I cloned the drive, and changed the boot order in the BIOS so that the new drive was before the old, but despite that, my computer still boots into the old drive. Unfortunately, I am not able to disconnect the old drive because I am not sure how to remove it (although I can if nothing else works) however, I have verified in disk management that the old drive is still considered the boot drive, as well as the page file drive. This is my first time changing the boot drive on any computer, and I am somewhat new to the DIY part of computing, so please make sure to add even the basic details if possible. Thanks in advance!

I forgot to mention, I am running Windows 10, and I have checked that the boot order is saving in the BIOS

Solution
My relative took a look at it, and while I can't say exactly what steps he took, I know that with the help of Acer he was able to get a fresh copy of windows (from somewhere on my computer, probably a back up), and have it activated. He also got the SSD to boot up Windows. I transferred all my apps and programs to it after, and now it works very well. He mentioned a chip in the computer that recognizes the boot drive and controls the boot, and that is about all I know. I didn't get the chance to sit down with him, but the problem is solved now. Thank you again for all your help!
When you access Disk Management does the present boot drive - your HDD - contain the System Reserved partition? And the SSD (present) secondary drive not contain the SR partition? If so, that may be causing the problem. Let us know and we'll provide the fix.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017

I'm not sure if any of these is the one you are looking for, but on Disk 0 (the HDD), the three partitions:
EFI System Partition,
Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Paritition,
Recovery Partition

Looking back in my cloning software, (EaseUS Todo Backup Free) I see another option to clone system, while I just used the clone option. Would choosing to clone system have transferred all the necessary files?

Possibly something went awry in the disk-cloning process. I haven't used the EaseUS program in some time so I'm not sufficiently experienced with that program to provide you with any advice on its utilization.

The "EFI System Partition" is merely an indication that the HDD is a GPT-partitioned drive. That's not a problem.
The Recovery Partition (usually) only contains sufficient data (including boot system files) so that a user can access that partition use the data in that partition in case there's a need to return the system to a bootable, functional state.

I'll assume you're certain that the boot priority order in the BIOS settings reflects the SSD as first in boot order. But do re:check that.

If you're reasonably comfortable with the EaseUS program give it another shot. Ensure you're following the correct procedure in carrying out the d-c operation.

We use another program - Casper - which we highly recommend for it's simplicity of use and effectiveness. It's a commercial program but there is a 30-day trial version available. In the event you're interested I'll provide you with step-by-step instructions for using it. But you may want to retry the EaseUS program since you have gained some familiarity in using it. And it's a popular program with many users.

Remember that IMMEDIATELY following the d-c program - when you make that initial boot to the newly-cloned SSD - first access the BIOS to determine that the SSD is first in boot priority order.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I tried the other options in EaseUS, but it is still not working. However, when I tried the other options in EaseUS, it created an EFI partition in the new drive that I can't delete. Is there any way to get rid of it, or would it be easier to keep? It is only 70 MB. Also, I just downloaded Casper 10, and any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

As I indicated in my prior post, the EFI partition signifies that the drive has been GPT-partitioned. Generally it's a small partition of about 128 MB (that's megabytes). As such, that should not pose any problem. The disk-cloning program will ordinarily clone that partition to the destination drive along with the data contents of the source disk.

(The only thing that DOES concern me is that the size of your HDD dwarfs the size of the SSD. See B. below and let me know if that is the case. Specify the TOTAL volume of data on the HDD and the disk-space capacity of the SSD before going on here.)

Here are some basic instructions for using Casper...

We're assuming your system meets two basic criteria before undertaking a disk-cloning operation...
A. Both the source disk, i.e., your HDD & the destination drive, i.e., your SSD are non-defective drives and the system currently boots & functions without problems using your HDD boot drive.
B. The disk-space capacity of the SSD (which will be the recipient of the clone) is sufficient to contain the TOTAL data contents of the HDD source drive. So if that is NOT the case, stop right here.

1. After installing the program and before undertaking the disk-cloning operation close all open programs. (Generally you need not disable your anti-virus program). Ensure your destination drive - the proposed recipient of the clone, your SSD - is properly connected in the system. It's best if no other drives, e.g., USB flash drive or USB external HDD be connected at this time.

2. The opening screen of the program will highlight "Create a Bootable Backup". Click on "Add drive" and a listing of the appropriate destination drive(s) will appear, - your SSD.

3. Click on the destination drive's listing and then the "Back up now" button.

4. Casper will run in the background and alert you when the disk-cloning operation is completed. (You can view the actual progress chart by clicking on the Casper icon in the Notification Area on the Taskbar.)

5. As I mentioned in my previous post, immediately following the (hopefully!) successful disk-cloning operation, when you make the INITIAL boot of the OS to the newly-cloned SSD, access the BIOS upon bootup and determine that the SSD is first in boot order priority.

6. Work with the newly-cloned SSD for a while to determine it boots & properly functions before modifying or deleting data on the HDD which will now serve as a secondary drive in your system.

7. Ordinarily Casper will utilize the entire disk-space of the destination drive to contain the data contents from the source drive. In some cases the program will create a partition on the destination drive (your SSD) only to the extent of the total data cloned. If that does happen, you can use Disk Management to extend the partition to encompass the total disk-space available on the SSD; it's a simple operation.

Hopefully the disk-cloning operation should proceed without a hitch and the SSD will become your new boot drive. But if you run into any problems let us know and please include a screenshot of Disk Management with your post.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
Thank you for you detailed reply! I tried everything in the steps and unfortunately the HDD is still the boot drive. The SSD appears to be working properly, as I can go into individual files and start programs from it. Also, the amount of data transferred doesn't exceed the space available on the SSD. I'm not sure what is going wrong, unless it is not something to do with the drive or the clone, but with the computer itself?I have a picture of the Disk Management after booting (after cloning) as well as a picture of the boot options in the BIOS, but I can't seem to attach them; it keeps asking for a URL instead of being able to attach a file. Sorry for my inexperience, and for the wait.

1. Just to confirm...you did follow Step 5. above, yes?
2. The disk-cloning operation seemed to proceed without any problems and it appeared the operation was successful?
3. Please do your best in posting a screenshot of Disk Management following the d-c operation. It should prove most useful in helping to diagnose the problem.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I did make sure to follow step 5 and made sure that the SSD was first in line, and the cloning seemed to run perfectly. Hopefully now a picture is attached of disk management.

Oywd8m.png

I honestly don't know why you're experiencing this problem. It certainly does appear, as you have indicated, that the disk-cloning operation was successful since Disk Management tends to verify that.

Again, just to confirm...there's no doubt in your mind that IMMEDIATELY following the disk-cloning operation when you FIRST booted to the OS with the newly-cloned SSD, it was at THAT POINT that you set the BIOS boot priority order so that the SSD would be first in boot priority (replacing the HDD)?

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to contact Acer tech support to see if they can shed any light on this problem.

I note Acer has a "chat" line available at: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch/#_ga=2.27507708.1113005149.1503067779-591227926.1502809504

Why don't you give that a try and hope you can contact a knowledgeable tech support rep.?
(You'll need the Serial # of your laptop to initiate the "chat'.

Provide something along these lines...
"My notebook is equipped with a factory-installed HDD which I've been using with no problems, however I recently added a M.2 SSD (PROVIDE THE PRECISE MODEL # OF THE SSD) with the object of making that drive my new boot drive in the Windows 10 OS. I've successfully cloned the contents the HDD to the SSD. I have verified that the disk-cloning operation was successful.

The SSD is detected in Device Manager & Disk Management, however, the system continues to boot to the HDD and not the SSD. Disk Management reflects the SSD as a secondary drive in the system.

Can you help?"

Acer's tech support # is 1-866-695-2237.

Please keep as informed.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I can't say that I immediately shut down after cloning, because I left it to do its thing, but when I came back after it had finished, it was the first thing I did, and I confirmed that the SSD was first the first time I booted up again. I had already changed the order when I first cloned it using the EaseUS software. Would that make a difference? I contacted Acer but the only advice they offered me was to delete the boot partition on my HDD. I decided against that and instead managed to figure out how to remove the HDD, and tried booting it up with only the SSD plugged in, but it gave me an error message saying that there was no boot drive found, or something like that. I can try again if you would like the exact message. Also, the Acer representative suggested going to the Acer community forum and look for an answer. I went there and found this

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-V-and-M-Series-Laptops/Boot-to-SSD/m-p/391993#M3660

However, it is a bit complicated for me, but I am fortunately visiting a relative tomorrow who is a computer expert, so I can have him look into that. He might find something else since he will have direct access to the computer. Thank you though for all your help and patience. If you have any more ideas, please let me know, and no matter the outcome tomorrow, I will be sure to post the results.

1. As I have indicated, the important thing is that IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the apparently successful disk-cloning operation you shutdown the PC. Then when you booted the system you IMMEDIATELY ACCESSED THE BIOS and ensured that the SSD was now first in boot order priority. And you've previously let me to believe that's exactly what you did, right?

2. I don't think there's anything in that Acer forum message that will be relevant to your current situation.

3. It's good that you will be visiting a relative who is a computer expert. Hopefully he can sort this out after a hands-on review of your situation.

4. As a last resort you can repeat the disk-cloning operation, shutdown the laptop, disconnect the HDD from the system, and boot the system with only the SSD connected. I know you were hesitant to get inside the laptop to disconnect the HDD but perhaps your relative would be able to do so. There is a YouTube video on the net that clearly demonstrates the process for your model Acer. (I don't have the URL handy but you can easily find it through a Google search).

Now that I think about it, you obviously had to install the M.2 SSD in the laptop, right? So you've had some experience opening up the case and working with its components. It would be a relatively simple task for you to disconnect the HDD, no?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I wanted to clarify what you meant by immediately. What I meant was that it was probably a few minutes after it finished cloning (less than 15 for sure, if that matters), however in most step-by-step instructions immediately means before doing anything else, but not bound by a time constraint. What I did was as soon as I saw that the cloning had finished I shut the computer down and restarted. It only occurred to me that I may have had to do it within a certain time frame recently, sorry for the misunderstanding. And also I may have not made it clear but in the last message I said that I did take out the HDD, and tried to boot it up, but it gave me an error message on start up. So I have tried that option.

OK, no problem as to the "timing" of the shutdown & restarting. As you correctly point out there is no "time constraint" between the two procedures. So you followed the correct procedure.

Well, of course I had no idea you had removed the HDD and booted to the SSD as the only drive connected in the system. That was a good procedure to follow but I wish you had previously mentioned it. In that situation the system should have booted to the SSD even without your BIOS intervention assuming the SSD was a bootable drive.

But that raises another question...when you booted the system with only the SSD installed (the HDD having been disconnected or uninstalled), what message did the system return?

I just don't know at this point. It's obvious the system can't find a bootable device but I can't tell why. Ordinarily I would suspect the M.2 SSD has not been properly connected since that's a common problem but we know that's not the case here since the system has detected that SSD as a secondary drive.

Under the circumstances I think the best course of action is to let your knowledgeable relative examine the situation first-hand since you'll be shortly seeing him.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
My relative took a look at it, and while I can't say exactly what steps he took, I know that with the help of Acer he was able to get a fresh copy of windows (from somewhere on my computer, probably a back up), and have it activated. He also got the SSD to boot up Windows. I transferred all my apps and programs to it after, and now it works very well. He mentioned a chip in the computer that recognizes the boot drive and controls the boot, and that is about all I know. I didn't get the chance to sit down with him, but the problem is solved now. Thank you again for all your help!

Solution
May 14, 2019
I know I'm digging out a rotten body here, but as I've had similar problem and the solution haven't been posted, I'll leave mine ways of fighting the problem for the others that will encounter this issue.

First of all shadowvoid841 did help me find part of a solution in his last reply, but first thing first - what are the steps to make this clone thing start working:

As I've bought a Crucial M.2 SSD I used their program provided Acronis True Image for Crucial https://www.acronis.com/pl-pl/promotion/CrucialHD-download/
Using it, is as simple as it gets - if you have installed your SSD and didn't even format it - it's okay, Acronis will know which disk you want to copy from to which one (if you have only two as me in this case).
All of the cloning process took about 1,5 hour in my case. IMPORTANT: you have to restart your PC right away after the cloning is done!
But before you start cloning it's crucial to set few things in BIOS - first of all set up your Supervisor Password, this will allow you to switch off Secure Boot option in the next tab. Then if you see both, HDD and SSD drives in the boot list, set the SSD first on the list, if not, you will have to return to this page AFTER the cloning with Acronis, and then set up priority for SSD.

First I've used some MiniCloneSthSth program that worked but only with HDD disabled and SSD enabled in BIOS, with both enabled it booted still from HDD. I'm not sure if Acronis will let you clone your system if you don't have a Crucial SSD but it's a good idea to check it either way, as this program did it job perfectly.