Question Boot/Post issues after installing new Seasonic Titanium PSU

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Hello everyone.

I have been experiencing a strange issue lately and any help will be appreciated greatly.

Specs:
  • Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger (latest bios - not beta)
  • CPU: 4790k - stock speeds
  • Ram: 2 x 8 gigs 2400 Dominators - stock speeds
  • SSD: Samsung Pro
  • HDD: 2x7200 rpm
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti - stock speeds
  • CPU Cooler: H110i GT (240mm)
  • Fans: 3 intake front (120mm), 1 exhaust rear (140mm), 2 radiator fans (140mm)
  • PSU: Seasonic Prime 80 Plus Titanium 850w
As per an online calculator i found, my system should draw around 650w.

I was using an old Cooler Master 1000w (which still works fine) and i wanted to invest in a more power saving good quality PSU.

I purchased a new Aerocool Project 7 Platinum 850w, which i returned after a couple of weeks because of the issue i will explain, and i replaced it with a new Seasonic (but does the same behavior). I doubt that the issue will be the PSU's (both?!).

So upon installation everything was OK no issues at all. After a few days of use, when i powered up the PC, it shut down after a few seconds, and then booted up again by itself but there was no post/no image of the bios. It was just powered on with the fans and Hdd's spinning.

Either it would just shut down and boot up with no post, or just power up with no post.

The only way to make it post, is if i reset the bios (reset bios button) to make everything go back to default. Then it would post.

After resetting the bios, i changed to the below settings (which were my settings before even changing the PSU):
  • Setting the XMP profile for the ram
  • Changing the chassis fans to behave according to mobo temperature
  • Changing the UEFI boot settings
I never OC'ed.

I have tried:
  • replacing Ram
  • replacing PSU power cable
  • tried different power outlet
  • removed everything from mobo and left only GPU, Ram, CPU (also removed chassis fans and cpu cooler)
  • tried a different GPU
  • Stress test with Aida, Prime (once i booted into Win)
Today, i had to reset the bios twice to make it boot properly. The first time i reset, it successfully booted but would not post after shut down. After the second reset, it would post normally and after multiple shut-downs/boots.

I don't believe that both PSU's where defective, i think it must be something with the mobo. But i did not have any of these or even similar issues prior to changing the PSU.

This does not happen every day. It happened a few days ago only once with the Seasonic (it rebooted and posted without needing to reset bios), and today which i had to reset twice. Totally random.

Also, forgot to mention that during boot, the fans spin really fast for 2-3 seconds and then slow down, which is normal. Could this draw more than 850w and make the system shut down? No right?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
J.

EDIT: After posting this, i shut down, booted up without issues.

Last edited:

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks for your reply, i will try this today.

Updating on the issue: i powered it up today, it shut down and rebooted twice by itself, and stayed on without posting. Yesterday i shut down and rebooted multiple times without issue (after resetting the bios twice).

Last edited:

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Tried memtest, everything was ok, besides i also tried different sets of ram, but problem persists.

I tried different ram slots, same. Tried with 1 stick on each slot, same....

=/

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Ok last night i put back my older PSU and the problem appeared again. This made me conclude that either it was:

• a component/peripheral which i might have not removed previously
  • mobo
  • ram slots
  • cpu
I removed everything (including cpu cooler), leaving only the monitor connected to the onboard graphics.

Still the problem remained. So the only thing left to do was to take the mobo out of the case and check it for any burned parts. I didn't see anything weird. I also checked the case but there wasn't anything touching the mobo apart from the stand-offs. I put the mobo back, connected everything and guess what. Booted and posted into windows. So i continued shutting it down and powering it up, and i literally did this 15 times. All 15 times it booted without a problem. Also this morning, i tried twice without a problem.

I have also removed the battery when i took out the mobo, but think that doesn't count since i was clearing the bios with the onboard "CLR_CMOS" button, right? Please correct me if i am wrong.

So what the hell happened?

Tech gurus, please help me :)

EDIT 1: I'll put the seasonic sometime next week and see what happens.

EDIT 2: the way i was clearing the bios was by pressing the clr cmos while the pc was powered ON because when i tried pressing it when it was off it did not reset (i didn't know i should hold it pressed for 5 seconds while it was off). Did i do any damage?

Last edited:

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Update: So i tried again the Seasonic, this time i removed the battery for 5 minutes before plugging it in. Cmos cleared, obviously. Everything works fine so far.

One thing to mention that i noticed previously but haven't really paid much attention to it, is that with my older PSU when the PC booted up, all fans rumped up for 2-3 seconds and then slow down SIMULTANEOUSLY.
But with the Seasonic the fans behaved a bit differently. The fans rump up but not simultaneously. I could notice the difference because i got used to the sound with my older PSU. It is like the motherboard did not 'like' the way the power was being delivered from the PSU, otherwise why would the fan behavior change? The fans now behave like before and is probably an indication that the problem was solved.

But i will leave this thread open for a couple of weeks until i am sure that everything is OK.

Can i have your thoughts on this please?

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Well there were no replies but i will update anyway.

The motherboard was having issues. More specifically, i isolated the problem to the CPU socket or the 8-pin power connector for the CPU. If i had the 8pin power cable connected, the system would boot loop or boot once or twice and then hang, like i explained above. If i did not have it connected, it would boot and stay on.

So, i replaced everything. Motherboard, ram, cpu.

There are ways to fix these issues but you need problem equipment to remove the socket from the mobo.