Boot priorities in BIOS

Occamslazor

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hello all! First time here so I hope I'm putting this in the correct spot.

I recently purchased a new laptop for my girlfriend, it's a Samsung Series 3 (model: NP350V5C-T02US), and I cannot get it to boot from the optical drive or the USB. I have looked in the BIOS and under boot priority I only have one option and that is "Windows Boot Manager". If I disable that, save settings, and reboot, it predictably just boots me directly back into the BIOS. I have never seen a BIOS not have an actual boot priority setting.

Anyway, I was on the phone / live chat support for two hours with Samsung and it was not helpful in the least. They basically told me to talk to Microsoft (It's running Windows 8 so not sure how that would affect it). Anyway, Microsoft wasn't any help and they told me it's a Samsung thing.

I figure the people here would be more helpful than either of those companies' "tech support" staff.

I'll include pictures just in case. The first pic is my only boot priority option and the second is what pops up when I hit enter on Boot Option #1

Thanks for any help you can give!

EDIT: Oh yeah I guess it might be helpful to know what BIOS this computer is running. :lol:

The computer is running Aptio Setup Utility, BIOS Version P02ABE, MICOM Version P02ABE

bios1.jpg

bios2y.jpg

realityisplastic

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

Hey, don't have this notebook but am looking to buy the same one and I would like to do a clean install of Windows as well. Found this in a Google search, can you verify if this works for this machine as well? Thanks.

Aptio bios has hardly any options and doesn’t show much. A very poor BIOS generally.

I have a samsung NP350

I couldn’t see any option to boot from USB. I updated the BIOS. still nope. I disabled fast BIOS saved restarted, but no new USB option appears under “boot override” or anywhere – it seemed.

A normal/decent BIOS e.g. even on a cheap Dell, besides showing far more in the BIOS, often has an option where a function key offers a boot menu.

But I tried all the function keys and the only one is F2 to go into the BIOS.

In the end, I saw that Indeed one had to set advanced.. fast bios mode..to disabled, and restart. But then my USB stick was under
Boot….Boot device priority…..
then it said
CD/DVD drive BBS priorities
Hard drive BBS priorities
Choose Hard drive priorities
Then I saw my USB key listed.

So, it was within 3 layers!

Funnily enough, I see under EXIT , an option called “Boot override”. and maybe the USB can possibly sometimes be listed there too .

Gosh what an annoying weak BIOS.. anyhow, at least it had the USB option there. I like the Samsung laptop though

thanks for the useful webpage. it helped me.

Reply ↓

Occamslazor

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I actually got it to work. I had to disable "Secure Boot" which then let me change the bios mode to "Legacy BIOS". After selecting that and rebooting back into the BIOS, I had waaaay more boot priority options! =D

Everything works like a charm now!

Lone1

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Ok same problem other solution:
Go to security and disable secure boot
after this u can enable csm mode in the advanced tab and u can boot from usb or anything.
Got it working on Asus x502c