tomoverton

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I have Windows on my Raptor, but PC will only boot to Windows if I change the hard disk priority in BIOS so that the Maxtor is first. This is then set as C: in Windows, with the Raptor set as D. If I don't set this, or I unplug the Maxtor completely, I get "Disk boot error" (or something similar). I've tried changing around which SATA ports go to which disk, but nothing changes. I don't think that's the issue anyway as it did it on other mobo's. I'd like to get rid of the Maxtor as I've just ordered 2 1TB drives but I can't if my PC won't boot.

More recently I've developed another boot issue...
Sometimes when I try to load Windows I keep getting the "missing or corrupt hal.dll", and the only way Windows will boot is if I set the 1st boot device as CD-ROM, and have the Windows disc in the drive, let it spin up but then don't press anything so it goes on to boot from the hard disk.

Can anyone help me with these issues?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Check the AHCI, or RAID settings (they may be turned on for different SATA ports)

If AHCI is on, set it to IDE
since you are not using RAID, disable it for now (on all controllers)(some boards have 2+ RAID controllers)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
As for the Hal.dll issue, begin like you are going to re-format and re-install windows. When it gets to the area to ask to format the drive, there should also be an option to run repair on the windows installation. Do so, and this should fix your hal.dll problem (had similar issues with MS Server, and XP)

TRENDING THREADS