[SOLVED] Boot problem... Graphic card issue!

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I recently upgraded to a 4K TV. So, since then I have been searching for a 4K graphics card that I can afford. Eventually managed to get a nvidia geforce gtx 660 2gb. In order to use the high resolution on it you need to use the display port, so i bought an adapter to hdmi. Installed the card last night....and could get not output at all over the adapter. Tried the hdmi and that seemed to have worked fine....so I put it down to a faulty adapter.

Took some trouble getting the drivers installed, but when I finally did the output was a bit oversized for the screen...so I try and adjust in the software on both xp64 and windows 7... and it wouldn't work. It looked like that part of the s/w was crashing out. I did wonder if it was a power issue, I added up everything in my system on Newegg's psu calculator..and it added up to 491 watts on 5oo watt psu, pretty close so in order to eliminate power issue i disconnected several hard drives.

I was still getting some stability issues, sometimes wouldn't boot...sometimes it would hang when loading the OS. Anyway, to cut a long story short I eventually stopped getting any output from the new graphics card. So, it has to be the card that is faulty right? So reverted back to my previous card radeon hd 5450....I'm worried that the faulty graphics card may have killed my motherboard or something as I just couldn't get it to boot for a long time. But after reseating the card several times, pulling some memory.....and letting it sit for half an hour with power completely disconnected...it finally booted!

But now I have this problem. Getting into XP 64 i immediately get BSOD and it reboots. I believe it's because of the nvidia graphics driver still being there.....so I try safe mode. Takes long time to load up...and then I can't do anything. Been many years since I have had to use safe mode, but i get no start menu/ taskbar, right click doesn't do anything...so something not right there?

I'm hoping that if I can get the nvidia driver uninstalled everything else will be fixable now. Not tried in windows 7 yet. Is there anyway to do that?

Solution

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, that does sound like a failing gpu and to remove the drivers you should be able to remove them from programs and features or from device manager if that does not work. Also, where did you buy the card from (ebay, amazon, etc..) and is it a name brand card like an asus or pny or reference nvidia or is it just a plain card? Could you post a link or picture please as it may be a scam card that is actually something like a gtx 550 which they mod and put a cooler on to make it look like a 660. It would also explain the crashing and bad drivers as they heavily mod the card to trick it into thinking it is something that it is not.

It would also explain the resolution not working because a gtx550 or older would not support 4K and would not work with it.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Hello, that does sound like a failing gpu and to remove the drivers you should be able to remove them from programs and features or from device manager if that does not work. Also, where did you buy the card from (ebay, amazon, etc..) and is it a name brand card like an asus or pny or reference nvidia or is it just a plain card? Could you post a link or picture please as it may be a scam card that is actually something like a gtx 550 which they mod and put a cooler on to make it look like a 660. It would also explain the crashing and bad drivers as they heavily mod the card to trick it into thinking it is something that it is not.

It would also explain the resolution not working because a gtx550 or older would not support 4K and would not work with it.

that is interesting to know! looks genuine as far as i can tell, even got box and everything with it....only thing is my Mummyboard only have pci-e 2.0, but it should still work only at slightly reduced speed. but with it completely failing after short time, i can only presume it was faulty when it got here, nothing that i have done to it, but seller refusing to accept the return now :-(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nvidia-g...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
reset cmos before you get the amd in driver conflict also did you use those driver on new card https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/114346/en-us also check if this gpu have dvi-d as nvidia specs you could try this connector first .
it's only the display port connector that will give full 4k resolution, according to the tech specs.....I do seem to be all sorted now after about 20 hours of work. Windows 7 wasn't too much trouble in the end, but xp64 was a right pain....re-nstalled various drivers for it 20 odd times, but they just weren't 'sticking', until i tried system restore! first time that has ever worked for me...but what i don't get is that i now have developed a few other problems, things like CPU ID and Piriton speccy no longer work, no matter how many times i uninstall and re-install them...suspect i might have other issues i haven't discovered yet.....but it seems to be a common problem with both amd and nvidia...one drivers are installed it's impossible to completely uninstall them and always cause problems.... :-(

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
yes i'm aware drivers are different, that looks like 32 bit anyway....I perhaps should have used the gigabyte drivers, but they're basically the same? if you look up the specs on the nvidia site it will do 4K, but only over the display port....but the card is faulty, so arguing with seller on return now :-(

TRENDING THREADS