[SOLVED] Boot Problem | still loads old drive

Mar 19, 2020
I bought a SSD and cloned my old HDD onto it via Partition Wizard. All Data was copied over no problem.

However if i boot this happens :

->Disk 2 1000gb ( extra data storage)
->Disk 1 460gb ( new SSD )
->Disk 0 (old HDD)
-> Windows Boot
----------------------------
| ->Windows Boot | <- ONLY THIS BOOT WORKS

if i try to boot from one of the other drives i get this message :

"select proper boot device and try again"

if i unplug EITHER the old HDD OR the extra storage drive, it failes to show me the only working boot.

diskpart and disk managment show that both of the efi system partitions were copied over.

Imgur Link : "imgur.com/Lz7x87h"

BUT Disk managment shows only disk 0 partition 1,2 and 4. Number 3 is missing, which i guess is the current boot thats active.

The Problem now :

My old Hdd is close to 10 years old now and the read write header is damaged ( cluttering / load screeching noises , like metal over glass but not so extreme).

It worked but was extremely slow, boot loading time over two minutes.

Furthermore this current configuration runs for about one month now .

I am fearing, that part of my old hdd has already been overwritten by my system, since it is not listed as part of a partition but free space.

-> I dont know if my old HDD is stable and error free enough that i could attempt another clone / copy / backup.

I tried to set my System Partiton active ( new ssd) or inactive ( old hdd), but its not working since its a gpt format instead of a mbr.

Any idea on what i can do ?

Do i simply let it run and go with the flow ?

Any help is appriciated :)

Edit 20.03.2020 14:30 gmt :

ty for your replies. As asked i changed the boot order -> NEW PROBLEM: Boot order is not saved.

if i set the boot order to my ssd, it loads up the windows repair screen. After i click on
" continue with windows"
it restarts and loads the original windows from my hdd up, not the hdd boot that loads ssd windows.

No matter what , if i disable every boot apart from my ssd or change the order, it gets reset to the current working boot from my hdd.

Edit 20.03.2020 17:18 gmt :

ty for your replies. sadly my ssd is a sandisk ssd because i saw a price reduction on amazon :/

I have a new idea and hope that you could point out potential errors :

-Buy a new Drive, connect it via usb

-Clone my SSD onto the new drive

- wipe my ssd and do a fresh windows installation. | new boot problem ? can i use a windows usb installer ?
->-unplug my old hdd that holds the current boot

-plug in the new drive in place of my old hdd

-transfer whatever data i might need from the new drive, then wipe it and use it as extra storage space

Last edited:
Solution
I suspect a problem with the cloning process.
You might try macrium reflect as an alternative clone app.

If, by chance your new ssd is a samsung ssd, you can use the samsung ssd migration app which is a C drive mover that will make all of the necessary adjustments.

Aero_X

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
I bought a SSD and cloned my old HDD onto it via Partition Wizard. All Data was copied over no problem.

However if i boot this happens :

->Disk 2 1000gb ( extra data storage)
->Disk 1 460gb ( new SSD )
->Disk 0 (old HDD)
-> Windows Boot
| ->Windows Boot | <- ONLY THIS BOOT WORKS

if i try to boot from one of the other drives i get this message :

"select proper boot device and try again"

if i unplug EITHER the old HDD OR the extra storage drive, it failes to show me the only working boot.

diskpart and disk managment show that both of the efi system partitions were copied over.

Imgur Link : "imgur.com/Lz7x87h"

BUT Disk managment shows only disk 0 partition 1,2 and 4. Number 3 is missing, which i guess is the current boot thats active.

The Problem now :

My old Hdd is close to 10 years old now and the read write header is damaged ( cluttering / load screeching noises , like metal over glass but not so extreme).

It worked but was extremely slow, boot loading time over two minutes.

Furthermore this current configuration runs for about one month now .

I am fearing, that part of my old hdd has already been overwritten by my system, since it is not listed as part of a partition but free space.

-> I dont know if my old HDD is stable and error free enough that i could attempt another clone / copy / backup.

I tried to set my System Partiton active ( new ssd) or inactive ( old hdd), but its not working since its a gpt format instead of a mbr.

Any idea on what i can do ?

Do i simply let it run and go with the flow ?

Any help is appriciated :)

Hi,

Have you tired changing the boot order of the drives in the bios menu to see if it boots SSD 1st?

USAFRet

Titan
The one critical step everyone misses.

At the end of the cloning process, you must power OFF, remove or disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to boot up from only the new drive.
If necessary, adjusting the BIOS boot order.

Try that now.

Mar 19, 2020
ty for your reply..
As asked i changed the boot order -> NEW PROBLEM: Boot order is not saved.

if i set the boot order to my ssd, it loads up the windows repair screen. After i click on
" continue with windows"
it restarts and loads the original windows from my hdd up, not the hdd boot that loads ssd windows.

No matter what , if i disable every boot apart from my ssd or change the order, it gets reset to the current working boot from my hdd.

Mar 19, 2020
If Disk 2 was installed into the PC when you installed Windows to Disk 0, Windows may have written boot files to it.

link us to a screenshot of your Disk Management Window that you've uploaded to an image sharing site please.

imgur.com/Lz7x87h
!! German!! Datenträger -> disk | wiederherstellung -> recovery | reserviert -> reserved | Primär -> primary

disk management shows an unnamed partition on disk 1 (ssd) which is identified as recovery on diskpart

I suspect a problem with the cloning process.
You might try macrium reflect as an alternative clone app.

If, by chance your new ssd is a samsung ssd, you can use the samsung ssd migration app which is a C drive mover that will make all of the necessary adjustments.

Solution