Question Boot problem

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Laptop ASUS pro60J, old but excellent and robust friend. BIOS AM pro60j.207. OS windows 10 1903 os SSD. The problem has been pèresent for a long time now.
Boot process stops at ASUS logo screen and stays there indefinitely. Hittinh F1 key (and only F1: esc, F2 etc. are dead) the proces continues without furthr problems.
Same behavior fior regular boot and hibernation. I already tried to elimuinate hibernation and fast boot, but no results.
Any ideas? thanks a lot.

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I tried the manoeuver four times without getting the start up repair. My (unexperienced) impression is that the stop comes before windows starts loading, and since windows, when the process restarts, loads regularly, no repair is needed. As I said, the process stops at ASUS logo screen, not at Windows logo screen.

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
All right, done. No usb attached, mouse included. No change. Could get to BIOS screen pressing simultaneously F1 and F2 (dumb luck?). Naive question: uefi boot is disabled. Is that OK?
Bios does not allow to remove asus splash screen to check the post messages (boot settings item is not present in bios boot screen options).

PS. I don't really know what steam is. Assuming it is a game (I found some reference in google), I don't have it installed. Thanks for your attention

Last edited:
All right, done. No usb attached, mouse included. No change. Could get to BIOS screen pressing simultaneously F1 and F2 (dumb luck?). Naive question: uefi boot is disabled. Is that OK?
Bios does not allow to remove asus splash screen to check the post messages (boot settings item is not present in bios boot screen options).

PS. I don't really know what steam is. Assuming it is a game (I found some reference in google), I don't have it installed. Thanks for your attention
Sorry disregard anything with steam, I put that info on your thread by accident.:oops:

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Aha ok there you go you have to enable uefi, that runs your computer! So cross your fingers, get into bios and use boot uefi. Restart and you should be good to go. (FINGERS CROSSED)
Sorry for the late answer, I was in vacation for a while. No luck , I enabled UEFI boot, no change in booting behavior: still hanging at ASUS logo and waiting for F1 (why just F1, is a mystery). I have the impression (but I may be wrong) that booting takes a little longer now. I really hoped that was the solution. Anything else I can try? Thanks a lot anyhow.

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
I can get to bios pressing simultaneously f1 and f2. Del Key is useless. Then, in BIOS, I assume you refer to "Press F9 to set default values". I did that, noticed that UEFI boot was reset to disabled and legacy usb support to disabled. Saved and exit, no change at all. I don't know what to say, this is really a mystery.
Could the fact that I boot from an SSD have some influence?

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Long delay in answer. I gave up and started learning to live with the problem. The main inconvenience is that I cannot wake up my pc from remote, since it wakes up all right, but of course remains stuck at the asus splash screen waiting for someone to press F1. So, no remote wake up possible. However, somebody came up with a reasonable explanation: maybe the motherboard battery needs replacement, so there is a message (that does not display) and waits for F1 key to "continue anyway". I cannot confirm or reject the idea, that sounds reasonable: the reason is that that I cannot locate the battery on the motherboard (Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M60J 1.0 ) to replace it. I really don't know where they hid it. Maybe this would not work anyway, but it is worth a try.
Another mystery in behavior: if I shutdown the system and power it on , windows gets up and running quite fast, less than a minute. If I restart the system, everything stops (after hitting F1, as usual), windows eventually gets up and running only after 10-15 minutes. At the beginning, I was sure the system would not start at all, and I discovered this abnormal delay only by chance. Now when I have to restart the beast, I let it run for how long it needs, and, sure enough, sooner or later (or better: later or later) everything starts normally. I was convinced that restart was equivalent to shutdown and power on, but apparently this is not so...

roberto21

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
When your laptop does work do a chkdisk on your hd. I think you may have a bad sector or more, thus it takes a while for windows to finally start up.
....and the effect of this bad sector would show only on restart and not on power on? Does windows load differently in those two cases? Sorry for the naive question, but I am really at a loss tryng to understand. In any case, there are no errors on drive C (ssd boot drive)