[SOLVED] Boot problems after new case installation

May 16, 2020
So I just bought a new case today (I guess it does not matter what model it is, since it s a simple Middle Tower case). I installed the motherboard in, connected every front panel pin, (which seem to work, btw) and linked my only HDD unit to it via the same SATA cable i have been using until today. Problem is, when I boot up the system, my HDD is not being recognised.
Moreover, when I press F2 to enter the BIOS settings, my screen seemes to freeze. This seems to happen both with and without the HDD plugged in. I don t really know much about how a computer should behave without an HDD, but I guess I should be able to access the BIOS, right?
I can access the Boot Menu and the MEBX panel (yes, it is an Intel board, and I use an I3 3220), and if i plug in an USB flash drive it is recognised in the boot menu.
Have i screwed the motherboard up or is it just a HDD corruption?

Solution
What you are looking for in the User Manual is confirmation that you have correctly selected, installed,and configured all components.

There can be variations as any particular motherboard is revised. The User Manual is not always up to date and that is why you must also go to the manufacturer's website for updated information and details.

Note sure about "Media Link Failure". Do you see any numeric codes?

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-4156811

Seems to be in line with the problems being experienced.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

If not, download the User Guide/Manual via the manufacturer's website.

Read the manual and doublecheck all components, connections, and configuration settings.

Pay attention to all notes and find print. You may also be referred back to the manufacturer's website for more current updates and QVL (Qualified Vendors List) information.

Reactions: Shimion_esque
May 16, 2020
Full Specs:
Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board DQ77CP
CPU: Intel Core I3-3220 3.3Ghz
GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6450
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD : 250GB WD BLUE

I'm not sure wjat i should be looking for in the PDF of the user manual.
I am currently re-assembling the PC, I ll be back with an update

Ralston18

Titan
What you are looking for in the User Manual is confirmation that you have correctly selected, installed,and configured all components.

There can be variations as any particular motherboard is revised. The User Manual is not always up to date and that is why you must also go to the manufacturer's website for updated information and details.

Note sure about "Media Link Failure". Do you see any numeric codes?

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-4156811

Seems to be in line with the problems being experienced.

Solution
May 16, 2020
Yes, my bad, it is in fact Media TEST Failure, it was a typo due to me not paying attention.

I will swap the HDD with a fully functional one in the upcoming days in order to see if it is the problem. If not, I guess some bad wiring that I have now corrected shorted the motherboard in some way.