Question Boot problems after Windows update and BIOS changes in prep for Windows 11 ?

thechickenadobo

Reputable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,

Since installing a Windows 10 update in prep for upgrading to Windows 11, my PC has been having booting problems and I cycle through certain steps which eventually allow me to boot up properly.

At first I noticed I've been using legacy boot all along and since Win11 requires secure boot + UEFI, I thought I would change my legacy boot options in the bios but first I needed to convert my Drive to support UEFI boot apparently. (This was the beginning of this torment)

After doing the above and reinstalling Windows 10, my PC would not get past the Mobo/Bios intro screen and normally get stuck as the loading spinner would pause with a Mobo Error code of AA.

I began to convert back to legacy, converting my drive again, reinstalling windows and turning off secure boot. No luck and the boot problems persisted.

Eventually after attempting a few solutions, my PC would actually boot properly, tricking me into thinking its all good... Until the next time I boot up. Sometimes its fine but 70% of the time I need to cycle through and play around with settings to eventually get it booted.

Here's a list of stuff I've tried/doing, which sometimes lets me in

• Updated bios to latest
  • Boot in windows repair
    • Startup settings
      • Disable early malware protection scan (this normally has a success rate of 70%) - note when I do load up properly doing this, my resolution is low and eventually normalizes back to the resolution for my monitor)
  • Change PCI settings from auto to 2x8 (I have a 3070 and sometimes when I get to the login screen, its in low resolution and eventually blacks out and I can't do anything)
  • Turning of TPM in bios - Which I think was enabled after installing latest bios version thats compatible with windows 11
Here's the scenarios of boot problems I get
  • Stuck in mobo loading screen with error code AA or AE and recently, with latest bios update, 9E
  • Get past mobo loading screen to then have a black screen with error code 40
  • Windows repair > Startup settings > Disable malware scan > Get to low resolution login screen > Black Screen of death
I cleared CMOS once and it didnt do anything and reinstalling windows sometimes fixes it, but only for that one time. I'm kinda out of ideas and before I start replacing components (probably Mobo first) I want to see if anyone has any ideas on whats going on.

thechickenadobo

Reputable
Nov 30, 2018
What driver version for your gpu. Did windows install it on the upgrade, or did you do it manually?

Ryzen 3600 + RTX 3070 OC with the latest GeForce Driver, Version 496.13

I think it downloaded it manually with GeForce Experience.

Boot problem happened today again. Turning on PC lead to being stuck on blackscreen with mobo error code 40, 2nd boot lead to a low resolution login screen that eventually made the sound you hear when a usb gets disconnected and then left with a black screen. 3rd boot resulted in a low res login screen again, but then switched to the correct resolution and PC ended up being fine. 🤷‍♂️