Boot Problems: "Error Loading Operating System"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rORy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2003

During general use of Windows XP, my PC crashed and I therefore had to reboot
it. However, now it comes up with the message "Error loading operating
system" in the boot phase. I have used the Windows XP CD to get to the repair
console, (by pressing 'R' on the first screen, only I don't know what to do
from here.

Any help as to how i can repair my PC is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Rory.

Check here:-

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Rory wrote:

> During general use of Windows XP, my PC crashed and I therefore had to reboot
> it. However, now it comes up with the message "Error loading operating
> system" in the boot phase. I have used the Windows XP CD to get to the repair
> console, (by pressing 'R' on the first screen, only I don't know what to do
> from here.
>
> Any help as to how i can repair my PC is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Rory.

demax

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I don't think the console will be of any great help. I found it only good to fix the MBR and fixBoot.
You need to actually continue loading (as if installing a new operating system) which will take you ultimately to a new option to (1) load a new Windows or (2) do a repair.
The Repair choice also uses the "R" key.
If you are not familiar, how to. There is a detail post here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244555-45-performing-repair-reinstall-winxp-tips

I've done repairs many times. It works 90% of the time.

Not exactly sure how removing and reinstalling the SATA cable will help here. Usually this message relates to a problem with the OS (hence the suggestion to use Windows repair) or it could be a physical problem with the HDD. demax has posted the most helpful suggestion.