Question Boot problems Samsung 970 EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2020
My computer has 5 disks 3 have the EFI boot partition.
The 850 EVO SATA SSD has a EFI boot partition and 3 bootable OS partitions.
The 970 EVO M.2 SSD has a EFI boot partition and 4 bootable OS partitions.
The 500GB WD SATA HDD has a EFI boot partition and 0 bootable OS partitions.

All 7 bootable partitions are Windows 10 Home.
6 are version latest update 1909
1 is minimal updated version 1809 for testing this problem.

When the 850 or WD are set as the boot disk in the BIOS.
You can only boot to either one of the four OS partitions on the 970 one time. After that you get the Boot Failed error, error “Windows Failed to start” could not find \Windows\system32\winload.efi Error Code 0xc000000e.
If you go in to the BIOS and reselect the 850 or WD the problem repeats.
There are NO problems booting to any of the 3 OS partitions on the 850.

When the 970 is set as the boot disk in the BIOS.
There are no problems booting to any of the 7 OS partitions

Motherboard is ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU i9-9900
CPU cooler Corsair H100i
Ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 SSD
WD 500GB SATA HDD
WD 2TB SATA HDD
WD 42TB SATA HDD
Video Card – MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Power Supply - Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

I have tried deleting the EFI System partition on the 850 and recreating it, using Hasleo EasyUEFI to copy the EFI partition from the 980 to the 850, creating a boot partition on the WD 500GB HDD. All produce the same problems. Error Code 0xc000000e the second time I restart the computer with the 850 as boot disk. ASUS tech support says it's one of the Samsung disk, Samsung tech support says it's to OS, Microsoft said they don't support dual boot.

Can any one duplicate this or have any ideas?

Jan 8, 2020
This is a new computer build and I didn't try to boot the OS partitions on the 970 with the 850 as the boot disk until about the last test, just to make sure I could boot to any of the OS's from either boot disk.

USAFRet

Titan
We need a screencap of your Disk Management window.

This seems to be the extreme example of why multiple identical bootable OS's in a single system is generally a bad idea.
It never works quite right.

If this is a "new build", I would start over will all blank drives. A single OS on a single drive, and move on from there.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jan 8, 2020
If I have to start over with blank drives I'll put up with the problem. One of the partitions on the 970 is a fresh install since I found the problem. I think it's a ASUS problem, because it will boot one time to the 970 OS's and the next time will fail. If you go back into BIOS and select the 850 again it will boot to any of the OS's on the 970 and fail the next time. It acks like the BIOS does something different when booting after selecting the boot disk then when doing a full restart. I tried to ad a copy of Disk Management but couldn't figure out how to attach the file to the this response.
PS Thank you for your Air Force service!!!!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm still so confused, WHY are there so many boot partitions? I understand you were testing..... something? But what is your intention when this is done? To have 5 bootable instances of Windows? Why?

Clearly this can be solved by cleaning up that whole trainwreck and doing ONE OS Install and working off that?

Jan 8, 2020
The problem is not how many partitions that are bootable, it is booting to a partitions on the 970 when it is not on the disk assigned as the boot disk in BIOS. My previous computer had no problems booting to the 850 from another disk which was either a 2TB WD Black or a 500GB WD Black. I have put the old WD 500GB Black back in and set up a EFI boot partition and it will boot to the 850 with no problems but to the 970 only one time (you have to go back into BIOS and select the boot disk (not 970) each time you want to boot to the 970). If you select the 970 as boot disk all is OK. The 970 only wants to allow starting a OS when it is the boot disk, WHY?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Again I ask, WHY are you doing this?

The issue is likely do the UEFI being used on all these drives, and its likely favoring the NVMe drives due to it. I'd bet the first install you did was to the 970, and the BIOS is looking UEFI PCIe first despite whatever settings you make.

Jan 8, 2020
If that is the case the problem is ASUS's BIOS, I need someone with a 970 and another disk to test the problem and tell me it is just me or can the problem be duplicated. You don't need a bunch of OS's on different disk, just create a EFI boot partition on the other disk and see if the ASUS Prime Z390-A and set the BIOS to primary boot disk as NOT 970 and boot more then once to a OS on the 970 EVO M.2.
Do you have the hardware to test this?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If that is the case the problem is ASUS's BIOS, I need someone with a 970 and another disk to test the problem and tell me it is just me or can the problem be duplicated. You don't need a bunch of OS's on different disk, just create a EFI boot partition on the other disk and see if the ASUS Prime Z390-A and set the BIOS to primary boot disk as NOT 970 and boot more then once to a OS on the 970 EVO M.2.
Do you have the hardware to test this?

I don't have that specific motherboard to test this issue. Nor a spare 970 EVO. Nor am I willing to make a mess of my drive setup in a system that you haven't told us WHY this is a problem?

For a third time I'm not sure again why this is a problem? Why do you have/need so many bootable partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS