Aug 18, 2022
tl;dr: flashed BIOS on Asus X470-F so I could use new Ryzen 5900X, but it won't post and my motherboard is showing the BOOT Q-LED error ?

So I can't tell if I screwed the pooch or if this is an actual error that's not my fault. I finally decided to upgrade my PC with a new CPU and case (GPU will come later) since I wanted to graduate from my friend's used parts — especially because they used them for mining at one point. The case was just an aesthetics and airflow upgrade since the old case wasn't that bad tbh, just lots of wear and tear and outdated looking. For the CPU, I upgraded from the Ryzen 1700 to the Ryzen 5900X, but kept the same motherboard since it was an Asus X470-F and I knew that it could handle the newest generation... I just forgot it needed a BIOS update.

So after completely disassembling and reassembling the computer in the new case with the new fan and CPU cooler, I got a DRAM Q-LED error on my motherboard. Looked it up and easily found out that I totally brain farted and forgot to flash the BIOS so that my X470-F could handle the 5900X. Sadly, my motherboard doesn't have an easy BIOS flash button, so I had to completely disassemble the computer again to go back to my old CPU and flash the BIOS and then reassemble it with my new CPU again. Basically my quick hour or two build quickly became an entire day's work due to all the disassembly and reassembly I had to do. Finally, after dealing with my GPU cable coming out and giving me a VGA Q-LED error, I was able to have everything good to go. Booted it up and... no post. Looked at the motherboard again and saw the boot Q-LED was on and not turning off. Not sure why this is happening as I never touched my M.2 SSD, the boot device/drive, during this entire process.

I went through every troubleshooting step I could think of, from resetting the CMOS to removing my SSD and putting it back in. Nothing I can think of has worked and now I'm at wits end, so I'm resorting to asking the geniuses of the Internet for help on this.

I'm just hoping it's not a compatibility issue (I doubt since everything shows as compatible on their respective data sheets), since although I'd rather not have to put the old CPU back in to reflash the BIOS, I wouldn't mind doing so if it was just because I was silly and messed up while flashing since I can't think of anything else that may have caused it.

Solution
tl;dr: flashed BIOS on Asus X470-F so I could use new Ryzen 5900X, but it won't post and my motherboard is showing the BOOT Q-LED error ?

So I can't tell if I screwed the pooch or if this is an actual error that's not my fault. I finally decided to upgrade my PC with a new CPU and case (GPU will come later) since I wanted to graduate from my friend's used parts — especially because they used them for mining at one point. The case was just an aesthetics and airflow upgrade since the old case wasn't that bad tbh, just lots of wear and tear and outdated looking. For the CPU, I upgraded from the Ryzen 1700 to the Ryzen 5900X, but kept the same motherboard since it was an Asus X470-F and I knew that it could handle the newest...

So I can't tell if I screwed the pooch or if this is an actual error that's not my fault. I finally decided to upgrade my PC with a new CPU and case (GPU will come later) since I wanted to graduate from my friend's used parts — especially because they used them for mining at one point. The case was just an aesthetics and airflow upgrade since the old case wasn't that bad tbh, just lots of wear and tear and outdated looking. For the CPU, I upgraded from the Ryzen 1700 to the Ryzen 5900X, but kept the same motherboard since it was an Asus X470-F and I knew that it could handle the newest generation... I just forgot it needed a BIOS update.

So after completely disassembling and reassembling the computer in the new case with the new fan and CPU cooler, I got a DRAM Q-LED error on my motherboard. Looked it up and easily found out that I totally brain farted and forgot to flash the BIOS so that my X470-F could handle the 5900X. Sadly, my motherboard doesn't have an easy BIOS flash button, so I had to completely disassemble the computer again to go back to my old CPU and flash the BIOS and then reassemble it with my new CPU again. Basically my quick hour or two build quickly became an entire day's work due to all the disassembly and reassembly I had to do. Finally, after dealing with my GPU cable coming out and giving me a VGA Q-LED error, I was able to have everything good to go. Booted it up and... no post. Looked at the motherboard again and saw the boot Q-LED was on and not turning off. Not sure why this is happening as I never touched my M.2 SSD, the boot device/drive, during this entire process.

I went through every troubleshooting step I could think of, from resetting the CMOS to removing my SSD and putting it back in. Nothing I can think of has worked and now I'm at wits end, so I'm resorting to asking the geniuses of the Internet for help on this.

I'm just hoping it's not a compatibility issue (I doubt since everything shows as compatible on their respective data sheets), since although I'd rather not have to put the old CPU back in to reflash the BIOS, I wouldn't mind doing so if it was just because I was silly and messed up while flashing since I can't think of anything else that may have caused it.
Try still use the ryzen 7 1700 again, then do this step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and uninstall secure boot keys (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (the one with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating disable AMD fTPM and secure boot again, save and exit, enter bios, and power off the pc.

• Replace the CPU, and this time use only 1 RAM, try to boot to bios if you could, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• If you could boot to windows, do not connect to internet, install the latest amd chipset driver first, and gpu driver then reboot. reconnect to internet after it.

Reactions: FiniteCS
Solution