[SOLVED] Boot shows underscore for 5-10 secs before booting on M2 drive. Should I rebuild?

robbieflower

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
I switched to M2 drive on a Asus B450M, and after about a month the bootup changed to showing an underscore (not blinking) for 5-10 seconds, then the american megatrends screen then windows 10 logo till boot.

How can I speed up the boot - and skip the underscore step! BCD Rebuilds etc seem to be for if it does not boot. Should I do it anyway or it doesnt apply to me? Will something else help?

Solution
Mine sits on bios screen for 16 seconds before it hands control to nvme and boots instantly after that, i thought a bios update would fix that until I found out Gigabyte BIOS are just slow to hand control over to windows. Coming from an older PC where it was instant, took a while to adjust.

bios update might be all you need.

robbieflower

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
Im not sure Im on UEFI - I was checking the bios there.

I have CSM disabled, I dont think it worked with it on
AMI support off
boot OS set to other, the other option being UEFI

I was using armory crate, so I think its all up to date

robbieflower

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
I changed CSM to UEFI and still had the underscore. What are the settings I should be using? anything I found online is from the old asus bios in blue and white

It waits for about 20 seconds before the megatrends screen. Its not a slow boot but a delayed boot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of PC?
what else is attached?
try removing any other drives and see if it changes anything.

it shouldn't be sitting on any screen for 30 seconds before flash screen even shows up. Some hardware is slowing it down

robbieflower

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
I updated some stuff on armory crate and it stopped, so it may be a bios update as suggested or some other tweak and may come back. But have a better understanding of what may be going on thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mine sits on bios screen for 16 seconds before it hands control to nvme and boots instantly after that, i thought a bios update would fix that until I found out Gigabyte BIOS are just slow to hand control over to windows. Coming from an older PC where it was instant, took a while to adjust.

bios update might be all you need.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS