Boot Speed in GPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjackool

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi

My HDD space is 500GB, and if convert it to GPT the boot time maybe affected (faster) or there is no difference between GPT and MBR in boot time?

Also except GPT support size (2TB) what is other benefits?

Thanks

Solution
Well it supports drive sizes above 2TB, the advantage is you don`t have to create loads of partitions of a set size.
I have not noticed an increase in boot speed if I am honest.

Gpt was more to do with the limitations the NTFS file format had with drives of 2Tb and over and the headache of having to create loads of partitions on a drive of such a set size, so you could utilize all of the storage space and access it under a Ntfs file format.

You be using up a lot more drive letter assignments in windows if it was not for GPT.
Well it supports drive sizes above 2TB, the advantage is you don`t have to create loads of partitions of a set size.
I have not noticed an increase in boot speed if I am honest.

Gpt was more to do with the limitations the NTFS file format had with drives of 2Tb and over and the headache of having to create loads of partitions on a drive of such a set size, so you could utilize all of the storage space and access it under a Ntfs file format.

You be using up a lot more drive letter assignments in windows if it was not for GPT.

Solution
Boot time will be minimally faster, as UEFI boot settings require GPT partitions and UEFI boot times tend to be somewhat faster than Legacy configurations.

Aside from support for larger drives without multiple partitions, there is also support for other TYPES of partitions, more than four partitions per drive and configuring your system for EFI settings allows other UEFI compatible hardware to be more quickly recognized and initialized which further reduces boot times.

jdwii

Splendid

I didn't think about that you are correct

The single most important benefit is that if you want to install Windows 8.1 or 10 with the system in UEFI mode, you HAVE to have a GPT partition. It's highly recommended that you not install either OS on a system with an MBR partition as there is little reason to not do so. If you have an OS that currently uses an MBR partition, it's advisable to do an upgrade of that OS, back up all your important data and then change your BIOS settings and do a clean install of Windows 10 with UEFI mode enabled in the BIOS.

Once you've done an upgrade of Windows 10 your BIOS has been registered with the Microsoft activation servers, no further activation on your part is required after the clean install and you will have a much less problematic transition to Windows 10 as those having done clean installs have eliminated all the garbage from the previous OS interfering with the new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS