[SOLVED] Boot SSD Windows recovery

coreytbay

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Starting up my pc today i got the Recovery bluescreen.
'Your PC/Device needs to be repaired'
'The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
'File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe'
'Error code: 0xc000000e'

Now prior to this for roughly the last two weeks I have gotten a couple of repairing c: drive screens but it completed and I still booted into windows.

The recovery screen tells me to use Recovery Tools which I downloaded onto a USB and booted to that. The 'Start-up Repair' option gives back 'Start-up Repair couldn't repair your PC'. I also can't find any windows installations using 'bootrec /scanos' in the Command Prompt.

The SSD doesnt appear in my BIOS unlike my two HDDs and I have tried different SATA cables and different headers.

Could the SSD just be dead and would I be able to recover any files from it?

It is a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Last edited:
Solution
Remove the drive and see if it can be seen using a USB enclosure. Recovering files off a failed SSD is not very likely, it's not like the same type of failure you may see with a platter drive unless your issue is that the file system is corrupt but the actual storage hardware is fine. You can try Testdisk or Photorec and see if it finds anything on the disk.

Really the best recovery is done from a backup of the files. You have two other drives, did not copy any files to those as a backup?
Remove the drive and see if it can be seen using a USB enclosure. Recovering files off a failed SSD is not very likely, it's not like the same type of failure you may see with a platter drive unless your issue is that the file system is corrupt but the actual storage hardware is fine. You can try Testdisk or Photorec and see if it finds anything on the disk.

Really the best recovery is done from a backup of the files. You have two other drives, did not copy any files to those as a backup?

Solution