Boot SSD with raid0 drives VS bigger SSD

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
i was just wandering what would be a faster setup. having a small SSD for your boot drive with 2 HDDs in raid0 or just one big SDD. Thanks for your input :)

Solution
If your data will fit on one SSD that is very much the way to go.
A larger SSD will have more underlying nand chips that can be accessed in parallel to improve sequential performance. Sort of an internal raid-0.

Raid-0 on hard drives does nothing, as a rule for normal desktop operations.
The benefit comes from being able to overlap accesses across two drives, and that pattern is not common unless you are processing large datasets sequentially.
Benchmarks look wonderful, but are misleading.
If your data will fit on one SSD that is very much the way to go.
A larger SSD will have more underlying nand chips that can be accessed in parallel to improve sequential performance. Sort of an internal raid-0.

Raid-0 on hard drives does nothing, as a rule for normal desktop operations.
The benefit comes from being able to overlap accesses across two drives, and that pattern is not common unless you are processing large datasets sequentially.
Benchmarks look wonderful, but are misleading.

Solution

One bigger one for certain.

1) It will be faster since it will have more nand chips that can be accessed in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0.
2) A single image is easier to manage.
3) Raid-0 of two small ssd's loses you trim which can be a performance hit.
4) Raid-0 of two small ssd's gives you no noticeable performance benefit. I tried it. two x25-M 80gb ssd's in raid-0 did not seem to perform as well as the single x25-M 160gb drive I replaced them with.