Boot time slowed down

Sep 6, 2018
I installed the i7 7700k to my PC yesterday and for some reason it feels like my startup has suddenly slowed down before the start screen and also takes a while to load up icons and such on my desktop (slower than before) here is my complete build. On task manager 'Disk' is at "100%" often too.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ynysHN

Any ideas? (my cpu beforehand was the Pentium g5460)

Lutfij

Titan
You shouldn't have gotten an i7 unlock-K suffix processor, it's potential is completely wasted due to the limitations of the B250 chipset. Regardless, did you try and make sure you were on the latest BIOS on your motherboard? You can try and perform a repair install and see if your experience changes.

If disk usage is near 100% at idle, then you're suffering from a memory leak, the repair install should return your functionality to normal but IMHO you should look into a Z270 chipset with DDR4-3200MHz rams to get the best out of the i7.

Sep 6, 2018

Something like this ? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/KvvZxr/msi-z270-a-pro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z270-a-pro
I just wanted to get the cpu then upgrade where I need to upgrade.
You think I should upgrade the motherboard and ram next then? or get an SSD?

100% disk usage doesn't necessary mean any memory leak.
Most likely it is some windows service causing this:
  • windows defender,
    search indexer,
    windows updates,
    disk defragmenter.
You can check processes causing this with Resource Monitor. Look for Disk activity section. Offending process will have highest disk reads/writes.

Sep 6, 2018
But what could possibly be causing it to be slower than before with better hardware? plugged something in wrong possibly or something like that? I don't know

Windows services decide for themselves, when they want to do something. They will not ask your permission.

Microsoft releases new update - windows update starts updating;
you have downloaded a lot of new files - search indexer starts indexing, windows defender starts scanning;
you have deleted and downloaded a lot of files - disk defragmenter may decide your drive is too fragmented and starts defragmenting.

Sep 6, 2018
cpu usage is only around 3-10% when idle on the i7 7700k but disk goes to 100% (especially on startup) my icons on the desktop load really slowly too now. could it possibly be something not plugged in right or anything like that?
The cpu and graphics card is recognized fine on system and device manager

Can you show screenshot from Resource Monitor - "Disk Activity" section?

It looks like this. Please order "Disk Activity" section (not "Processes with disk activity") by column Total and adjust file name column to readable length.
cEOrI.jpg

so when disk is at 100%, open up Resource Monitor, go to the Disk tab and sort by total bytes written or read to see what's causing that to happen. Resource Monitor is an invaluable tool, if you only use it. Post screen shots of it if you can so we can see what's running and doing what for more serious assistance