[SOLVED] Boot times significantly longer after updating windows.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I updated windows 10 with the latest security patch last night. After doing so, I rebooted my PC, and something has gone wrong. My boot times are ridiculously long. The time that my bios screen would show up until the moment windows would have me at the sign in screen was about 15 seconds. Now it's roughly 3 minutes.

The weirdest thing, is that my screen stays black for about 45 seconds of thst 3 minutes before showing me the bios boot screen.

X470 gaming plus, latest non beta bios
Windows 10 home.

kanewolf

Titan
I updated windows 10 with the latest security patch last night. After doing so, I rebooted my PC, and something has gone wrong. My boot times are ridiculously long. The time that my bios screen would show up until the moment windows would have me at the sign in screen was about 15 seconds. Now it's roughly 3 minutes.

The weirdest thing, is that my screen stays black for about 45 seconds of thst 3 minutes before showing me the bios boot screen.

X470 gaming plus, latest non beta bios
Windows 10 home.
Windows knows nothing about what happens BEFORE the BIOS screen. It can't be Windows. It could be a failing hard drive. It could be a slow DHCP server or other network slowness, but you can't blame Windows.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Windows knows nothing about what happens BEFORE the BIOS screen. It can't be Windows. It could be a failing hard drive. It could be a slow DHCP server or other network slowness, but you can't blame Windows.
ssd or hdd?

SATA SSD. Samsung 860 Evo. It's been in use for a little over 2 years. I have another 860 and an addlink s70 m.2 that I use for actual storage.

After getting into Windows, everything seems to be running as snappy as it always has.

Reactions: Krotow

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
ok check with glary utilities what load up with windows you could post a picture of the screen result here .

Thank you! I unplugged and plugged in my SSD, then downloaded that program. It detected some registry errors and fixed them. I rebooted, and it was extremely fast.

Problem solved, for now at least.