[SOLVED] Boot to ISO image - motherboard (from 2008) doesn't support booting from USB stick

Hi.

At my work, there are a facility where an computer (industrial type with rack-mounted cabinet) have being running since 2008 - and now it's time to get a backup of the OS disk in case the HDD stop working.

This is not a problem in most situations. I usually get either a physical CD burned with Clonezilla, or a USB stick (Unetbootin was used in this particular case).

However in this particular case, I met the following problems:
  • The PC does not have a CD rom (it lack any form of 3.5' well so it's not possible to install an internal CD-rom anyway).
  • The BIOS doesn't offer to boot from USB stick (it offers only USB CD-rom, USB-FDD and USB-zip-drive). I did try a usb stick with Clonezilla, but to no avail - it never showed up in the boot order list anyway (I tested it on a laptop and it worked there).
I'm thinking this lead me to two possible solution - but none of them are good in my opinion
  • Go and buy an USB CD-rom.
  • Remove the HDD from the rig and use another computer to perform the backup.

Before I do this (probably buy a USB CD-rom) - does anybody have an idea if there is possible to trick/force the computer to boot from a usb stick (without buying a external CD rom) ?

Solution
You should be able to throw the drive in a dock and use dd or macrium or something to mirror the data, assuming it’s SATA and not sas or something.

A usb cdrom also works, there’s no real workaround hack on that due to limited support in the bios.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
You should be able to throw the drive in a dock and use dd or macrium or something to mirror the data, assuming it’s SATA and not sas or something.

A usb cdrom also works, there’s no real workaround hack on that due to limited support in the bios.

Solution
Thanks for confirmation. Then I go get a USB CD rom for this purpose.

As this is an important computer in a facility, I think there is some shortcomings with Macrium Reflect. I don't know this, but I assume:
  • Must be installed into Windows. This is a no-go because of the policy of the company.
  • No support Windows XP? This OS is adamant because of factory software that is not being updated any more.
  • Does it require to "call home" to verify the key to unlock the trial? If yes, that is also a big no-go.

But you have another, bigger challenge. One day, this computer will die.
Yes I'm very aware of that, only question is if the management decide to spend money to upgrade.

Then what? Can you get that app today? Can you run it on modern hardware / OS?
Probably no to both. But until management decide to buy some new equipment, at least I'll be able to replace the hdd if that dies off.

Btw: one very nice feature about Clonezilla is that it list up the hardware for the particular computer that the source hdd is mounted into.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Macrium can run directly from a USB or CD/DVD. You will need a WIndows PC to set it up.
  2. It will backup whatever is on the drive. Win 10, Linux, XP, whatever. It does not care.
  3. The Free version does not phone home to unlock anything (to my knowledge). It is what it is. There is a specific checkbox during the installation that asks if you want to "Register". Simply uncheck it. If you get the paid version, then it needs to phone home to verify the license, just like any other licensed software.