[SOLVED] Boot took 30 minute and windows is not responding.

lusius1234

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Hi, so i started my pc this morning and suddenly boot is super slow and windows not responding.
I need to wait for at least 30 min for it to reach desktop and around 2 hours wait for the windows to start working properly again.
When it reached desktop i try to open task manager and see what happens, a lot of not responding task and i see the hdd with 100% use and the average response rate spike to 1000 ms+ and back to 0 in a second.

But after i wait 2 hours when windows started working properly again, i ran smart test on my hdd to see if it has some problem but the result shows that my hdd doesnt have any problem at all and it was at full health.

After that test i wanted to restart and see what happens. This same thing happen again.
I wait for around 30 min and then it went to desktop but not responding, i wait again for around 2 hour, it magically work again.

So is this the problem with the hdd? Or im missing something else? Thanks guys.

Solution
I would listen to mod rgd1101 that sounds like a virus but we could be wrong. After giving us more detail you say you hear the deadly hard drive ticking sound. Are you sure that tick is from the hard drive? Or could it be a fan? If it is the hard drive then that is not good news even if it shows its doing okay in CDI. That hard drive tick is not a good sign. Me personally I would backup your important information ASAP as we can't trust a clicking hard drive ya know.👶✝🎗

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I would listen to mod rgd1101 that sounds like a virus but we could be wrong. After giving us more detail you say you hear the deadly hard drive ticking sound. Are you sure that tick is from the hard drive? Or could it be a fan? If it is the hard drive then that is not good news even if it shows its doing okay in CDI. That hard drive tick is not a good sign. Me personally I would backup your important information ASAP as we can't trust a clicking hard drive ya know.👶✝🎗

Solution

lusius1234

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Yes im 100% sure its from the hard drive, I checked all the fans that is close to it to see if there any cables touching but nope.

So do u think my hdd is almost dead? Should i replace it or can it actually be fixed?

I'm currently backing up my files, since it started working again, but then sometimes it ticks and everything is slow again :(.

Yes im 100% sure its from the hard drive, I checked all the fans that is close to it to see if there any cables touching but nope.

So do u think my hdd is almost dead? Should i replace it or can it actually be fixed?

I'm currently backing up my files, since it started working again, but then sometimes it ticks and everything is slow again :(.

Your HDD could run like that for a year or it could break in 2 minutes. If you did your backup you're fine. I would replace the drive for sure.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
As my fellow guru said backup your stuff that drive can die at any moment and NO there is no fixing it my friend. Maybe it is meant to be so you get a nice shiny SSD and that will churn your world around, it still is one of the best upgrades you can make. What is your budget for a SSD? I will find you one and what size do you want it to be? With the SSD your Windows 10 will boot up in 10 seconds flat and load your startup apps really fast. It will change your life for the better so don't take this hard drive thing to serious, as I said it was probably meant to be so you get a SSD which is 100000x more then what a spinning hard drive can do.🎗✝👶

Reactions: Nemesia

lusius1234

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
As my fellow guru said backup your stuff that drive can die at any moment and NO there is no fixing it my friend. Maybe it is meant to be so you get a nice shiny SSD and that will churn your world around, it still is one of the best upgrades you can make. What is your budget for a SSD? I will find you one and what size do you want it to be? With the SSD your Windows 10 will boot up in 10 seconds flat and load your startup apps really fast. It will change your life for the better so don't take this hard drive thing to serious, as I said it was probably meant to be so you get a SSD which is 100000x more then what a spinning hard drive can do.🎗✝👶
Lmao yes, that is what i am thinking. But the thing is i need to replace the motherboard to use the m.2 ssd, because my current mobo doesnt have the slot.

Replacing the mobo means i have to get a ddr4 ram and a better cpu which gonna cost a lot of money.

Do you guys have a recommendation for upgrade? I just want to replace the processor (for anything), ram to ddr4, motherboard and buy a new m2 ssd.
I have atleast 500-700$ budget (but idk tho i have to sell my parts first)

My spec:
Intel Core i7-4790
Inno3D GTX 1060 6 GB
MSI B85-G41 PC Mate Motherboard
Corsair 4x4 GB RAM DDR3
And a 500W PSU

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Alright, maybe i'll do that instead. Thanks.
There is no real world performance difference between a m.2 and a SSD. Yes a m.2 is 2500mbps and above while SSD is 500mbps however they perform the same. Only in certain situations will the speed kick in like when your copying from m.2 to another. I fave timed it and when I got my first m.2 I swear to you the boot times were identical so were the load times in games and apps launching and other stuff. If I didn't tell you what is in the system you wouldnt know which is which. The m.2 is just a form factor and small and tiny other then that a SSD and a m.2 SSD have no real world difference. I would go with a SSD instead and save money or buy more storage and what not. Also m.2 gets very hot like twice the C degrees then a SSD. However this is ok as it is meant to get hot and is normal and fine. 👶🤷‍♀️💯

Reactions: Nemesia

lusius1234

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
There is no real world performance difference between a m.2 and a SSD. Yes a m.2 is 2500mbps and above while SSD is 500mbps however they perform the same. Only in certain situations will the speed kick in like when your copying from m.2 to another. I fave timed it and when I got my first m.2 I swear to you the boot times were identical so were the load times in games and apps launching and other stuff. If I didn't tell you what is in the system you wouldnt know which is which. The m.2 is just a form factor and small and tiny other then that a SSD and a m.2 SSD have no real world difference. I would go with a SSD instead and save money or buy more storage and what not. Also m.2 gets very hot like twice the C degrees then a SSD. However this is ok as it is meant to get hot and is normal and fine. 👶🤷‍♀️💯
Ok. Now i just want to get the SATA SSD instead xD. Thanks again guys

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Ok. Now i just want to get the SATA SSD instead xD. Thanks again guys
Yes I will find you a SSD and also just FYI you can always use a m.2 adapter as I did on my old box. It is like 15 or 20 bucks and you put the m.2 on it and stick it in the PCIe slot and your good to go. However as I said m.2 and SSD are pretty much the same thing as far as real world performance goes. I would recommend getting a SSD and saving money and getting higher capacity. You didn't tell me your budget but I will assume its 70 to 100 dollars. I will find you a good SSD now from a good company and you will be set for 100000 hours and then some to tell you the truth. Since there is no spinning hard drive the chances of a SSD dying is pretty much the same as getting hit by lightning lol. Ok let me pick out a 500GB SSD for you. Here you go 58 dollars for a Crucial 500GB SSD. https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX50...d=1602245834&sprefix=ssd+500gb,aps,221&sr=8-3
Grab her and never look back again. Actually there is a good chance your boot up will be 5 to 8 seconds as well, just depends on how much startup items you have and if your OS is in good condition and what not. 👍👌👽

Reactions: lusius1234

TRENDING THREADS