Boot up Issue

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Tried to find a solution, hasn't worked, think it might be something else, and I might've been scammed by a friend.

Heres the brief situation...built the new PC...didn't have Windows 7 so buddy offered to install it for me if I brought the PC to his place to install for cheap. So I did.

PC booted up fine, no problems, said it was genuine, I managed to get updates too I think ( don't really pay attention ). Heres the current situation:

OLD PC SPECS
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
AMD FX-4350 19 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942) 29 °C
HL269DPB (1920x1080@60Hz)
HD RADEON 6450 1 GB DDR3
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
1863GB Seagate Desktop USB Device (USB (SATA))
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

NEW PC SPECS
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
AMD FX-4350 19 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942) 29 °C
HL269DPB (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (XFX Pine Group) 41 °C
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
1863GB Seagate Desktop USB Device (USB (SATA))
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

Took this from SPECCY so I hope it's enough.

Anyways, my new and old specs are virtually the same except two things. The GPU and the PSU (OLD = THERMALTAKE 500W, NEW = CORSAIR CS650M 650W)

The problem is, I don't know what's going on. I did install a HD 7770 in between the NEW and OLD, which was a broken card because it kept giving green lines. I installed those HD7770 drivers over the HD 6450, then unistalled and reinstalled the HD6450 afterwards. Thing is, then not long after I got the new GPU (R7 260X) and put it in with the new PSU (both under 1 week old).

Right from the start there has been problems. I don't know if the windows genuine issue was there right at the start, but it was there either at the start or not long after...and since then I've been unable to boot my PC. I would be lucky and restart once and it'd come on, or I'd have to restart it multiple times. I've reinstalled drivers and everything and no luck.

Just earlier today I came back last night from a trip, and I thought that it was the GPU. I clean uninstalled with the AMD Clean Uninstall utility, and rebooted the pc, and it loaded fine (standard VGA driver) at 800x600 then I installed the R7260x driver from the site (the 14.4-- whatever driver from AMD) because I was told maybe my CD from the box had a problem. Thats when the worst happened> All night last night I couldn't get it to reboot at all. Did it about 10 times. I would get a single beep, nothing on screen. I'd get no beeps, keyboard lights go on. I got one time a single beep then 1 long 3 short. Combination of no keyboard lights/yes keyboard lights/no beep/1 beep + black monitor screen. Somehow at one point it booted up with the Windows 7 Logo slightly slanted...too...then somehow miraculously after rebooting another 10 times today it turned on, and said again to run Startup Error...got the following things

windows\system32\slui.exe are not proper
Old Value = 0x1f01df
Error Code = 0x0
Repair action = Access Control Repair

then on startup (this has happened i think a 3rd time thats why i'm posting this now, as i may have been tricked):

Windows Not Genuine
0xC004F057

Did some research and people have said Windows 7 if not genuine screwes your PC up. So my question now is, what is the problem...lol

GPU? GPU driver? PSU? Windows 7?

I can reinstall Windows 7 I have a 100% legit version I got from the school (found out last week in tech class prof said "look you can get free software legitimately")

Hopefully someone can help. This is rather frustrating, and if it is my Windows 7, I'm gonna get this guy cause he's been offering it around to other people too I think

it will be a pirated copy for sure.probably using windows 7 loader to fool the activation.then when you downloaded the updates microsoft slipped in their antipiracy update kb971033 which picked up the loader and shut you down.i would find this guy,wring his neck and then get my money back.you will end up having to do a fresh install of windows with a genuine copy.

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Is this OEM license? you might want to check with him on that. I don't think any of the MS Windows OS are free.

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

well, there goes $80.
so is my problem because of the windows 7? or is it my GPU?

to be honest it occured at the same time roughly so i don't even know. (between windows 7 notifications + the installation of my new GPU). it seems to only happen when i install the driver (like that 'Windows is not Genuine' thing disappeared a few days so I thought it fixed itself, then after coming back and trying to turn on the pc again, it failed miserably, (but no notification), then after being able to boot up, told me its fake again.

is it my drivers or my GPU? or is it actually windows 7 by the looks of it? i can reinstall windows 7, but im more worried if it's my BIOs or my GPU or my GPU drivers...i did plenty of google :D about 'does r7 260x work with M5A97 LE r2.0 and it says it works fine, PSU said to work fine too, couldn't find any research about whether i need to update BIOs, but maybe its the windows version that's the problem (since startup recovery mentions that slui.exe file)

any idea?

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

i dont think it is OEM license. its from the post secondary institution this one i got this time. its offered to faculty and students and i can get either (i think actually both too) Windows 7 64/32 bit Professional/Ultimate (it let me download professional, and i havent checked if i can dl ultimate now). it generated a serial key so i don't think it is OEM? i've no idea what that is anyhow.

but in anycase, this is the MOBO so..i woudln't change the MOBO unless it fries on me.

but what is the problem i'm having right now? where is it from? having huge boot up problems...ranging from nothing at all to a combination of either/and/or of keyboard lights up/one beep (and the one time rare 1 regular beep + 1 long 3 short beeps)...and the windows 7 genuine thing...i cant figure out as i guess coincidentally i upgraded my GPU at the same time

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Here are some beep codes:

Award and Phoenix BIOS:

1 short beep: Normal
2 short beeps: CMOS error
1 long and 1 short beep: DRAM error
1 long and 2 short beeps: Video card error
1 long and 3 short beeps: Keyboard error, or video card error
1 long and 9 short beeps: ROM error
Long continuous beeps: DRAM not installed correctly, bad memory, or incompatable
Short continuous beeps: Bad power supply

AMI BIOS:

none power supply, motherboard, or PC speaker is no good.
1 short system RAM Refresh failure.
2 short memory error
3 short same as 2 beeps; follow diagnosis above.
4 short system timer error
5 short cpu Failure. Replace the CPU or possibly the motherboard.
6 short keyboard error
7 short cpu or motherboard error
8 short video card error
9 short rom checksum error
10 short cmos error
11 short cache memory error
1 long, 3 short memory test failure
1 long, 8 short Display test failure

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

Thanks!

But I'm a bit confused...what exactly am I having as a problem?

Based on what I saw, that means my PC is between...normal and keyboard/GPU error?

Right now I'm typing to you from my keyboard/monitor/GPU...the problem is that it takes one or many restarts/force shut downs to get it to run...and I have to almost always do some Startup Recovery...leading to it "successfully" fixing some "Windows\System32\slui.exe are not proper" "Old Value=0x1f01df" error...and a few times on load up afterwards, displaying "Windows is not Genuine Error: 0xC004f057"...

What is going on?

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

I thought it was, but can it actually be affecting my PC? (Causing blue screens + no loading etc)

Haven't been able to find that guy yet, guess I'll go ahead and reinstall tommorrow

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014
well...just bombed my whole HDD....backedup the files...reinstalled WINDOWS GENUINE 7 64 bit XP PROFESSIONAL from my college..got that shiny genuine sticker in my PC now...so lets HOPE this works (never noticed that wasnt there before)....i did a backup this way...touchwood...if nothing happens great but if it does i can just restore back

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

wasnt fine lol, froze and got some blue screen error again...this time it did restart and load the drivers properly though...only to fritz awhile later

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

unless god helps, i've given up apparently

i tried clean windows install, installing beta driver, the new 14.4 driver, the card driver, nothing works, keep bsoding at some point and black screen....it either will bsod me...on startup (not sure if after windows 7 logo or before), or in MOST (99%) cases itll just black screen me, and occasionally ill see my keyboard lights...sometimes i wont...sometimes ill see black screen or 'no display'...generally black screen

i remember seeing atikmpag.sys as blue screen....so...

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

are u sure about this? could u link the article?

i searched dozens and could not pinpoint that (im no guru so maybe thats why)

at the same time, my HD Radeon 6450 works perfectly fine, and thats whats on my PC now, and ive never updated BIO's before, and it looks confusing and seems that the consequence could be me having a 0 functioning PC permanently

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

can i windows restore my bios?

also, i have no idea what version im running, i only know it says American Megatrends 12/12/2012 or something.

Which bios i need? can u help me with links?

the latest version of your bios is v2501 released on 2014/05/14.here is the link to the downloads.i suggest you check the site for advice and how tos on updating the bios.dont know how to restore bios on this motherboard but their should be help on the asus site.here is your link.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Shikodun

Reputable
May 6, 2014

ill try that thanks...>< not sure though would it really help my R7260x to work? I'm thinking my card is broken