Boot-up problem with new build

Doodsmack

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I am upgrading my build, swapping out older AMD processor, mobo, vid card and RAM and installing i5 4670k, ASRock H87 Pro4, GTX 770, 8 GB DDR3 1600. Keeping 3 yr old 650w corsair PSU that was working fine with old build.

The problem I am having is that the system will seemingly turn on for 30 secs, all fans running, disc drive starting up (and can be ejected), but there's no video output and the system shuts off after 30 secs. It then attempts to restart after a couple seconds, but shuts off right away. Then after a couple seconds, it starts up for 30 seconds again and then repeats.

The install was a bit of a fail. I basically get frustrated and do minimal manual reading. And I get pissed when doesn't go perfectly smoothly and quickly. I get to the CPU and heatsink install, and being mechanically challenged, have trouble getting one of the legs of the heatsink to seat in the mobo. I start jamming things around, moving it in and out, mind you the thermal paste has made contact by now and smears around, probably unevenly and there might be tiny bubbles in there. In my pissed off state, I try using the end of a pair of scissors to jam the last leg into the mobo. The scissors slip and gouge across the motherboard. I proceed to continue this endeavor, causing more gouges. I end up putting the rest of the computer together with the 4th leg not seated, not even sure of the heatsink was in full contact with the CPU but it may actually have been.

So I get the above problem when I try to boot. I then take the comp back to the table and figure out the heatsink thing, and get it seated again. Not before some more rubbing around of the thermal paste though. Try to boot again, same problem. I've tried the following troubleshooting steps:

- Rearranged RAM in diff slots, tried one stick of RAM.
- Disconnected everything (including RAM) except CPU.
- Disconnected different parts one at a time.
- Connected monitor to mobo rather than vid card

These result in the same problem. Made sure all cables are seated, mobo standoffs used.

Tonight I will try using different RAM. I will also clean off the thermal paste and apply arctic silver. If that doesn't work I will assume the motherboard is done for. Any holes in my reasoning?

Thanks in advance.

If you made gouges into your motherboard with the scissors you may have damaged some of the circuits, and thus completely fubar'd your mobo.
I'm pretty sure you attach the mount for the heatsink to the mobo first before attaching the heatsink to the mount as well.
Working with the inside of a computer is all about "Gentle but Firm" pressure, you never want to get emotional. All your motions should precise and direct.
You can always wipe the excess thermal paste off the CPU, as it kinda sounds like you may have used too much anyways.

TRENDING THREADS